• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulling the pedals

bstan69rr

Local time
5:41 PM
Reaction score
i just read, on a Charger forum, where someone seemed to be saying that you do not have to exchange the whole pedal setup when changing to a four speed. It sounded like the pedal brackets were the same, and you could just use the longer bolts to put the pedals in the car.

If so, has anyone done this, and do you recommend it? I anticipate having one helluva time getting to one of the nuts holding that bracket on at the top. I have a donor car, and it was a real pain--in fact, I could not even see it.

Just wondering. I am on spring break next week, and I plan to get a lot of work done on it during that time.

Oops. I forgot which forum I was reading when I went to bed last night. I guess this does not really qualify as being funny. Sorry!!!

Not sure.... the factory service manual should show that information, maybe just with diagrams.

Don't know about just adding clutch pedal. Remove speedo cluster makes removal and install. A u-joint with tape wrapped around it but loose enough to flex and deep socket and extensions work.

I changed out my pedals from Auto to Straight drive . . . but I also cleaned them up, shot them with some paint and got them ready to go back in . . . I also had already taken out the dash as I'm in the middle of a rebuild . . .

But thinking about it . . . I "believe" that you might be able to do the work while the pedals are still in the car . . . I've got the pedal assembly pictures and documentation in my build thread - that might help you see what needs to be done . . .

Anything else . . . ask - and I'll see what I can dig up on the pedals . . .

Also Note - you will need to drill (2) holes in the firewall - but there should be (2) dimples in the locations ( at least mine had them ) where you'll need to drill the holes ( sure made life a whole lot easier )

The main brake pedal bracket is universal. When a 4 speed pedal is needed, an additional bracket gets mounted on the clutch pedal side of the main brake pedal bracket (also, a small bracket gets mounted inside the engine compartment that backs up the inside bracket)
You will need to remove and replace the brake pedal with one from a 4 speed with the smaller foot pad.
This is all "doable" with the assembly in the car, but I'd remove the entire assembly and work on it on the bench like a gentleman.

Auto Transport Service
Back