• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulling trans pan, mess or what?

Have a 18"x24" Stainless pan. It was in a scrap hopper at work, pulled it out. It was a cover for machine base to cover electronics.

Have a 18"x24" Stainless pan. It was in a scrap hopper at work, pulled it out. It was a cover for machine base to cover electronics.
Unless ur pan is 8’x10’ ur gonna make a mess IMHO..

A 10' X 20' plastic sheet, 3'X 5' catch pan, 2' diameter funnel, and a full length body condom works for me.
And you'll still smell like tranny fluid for about 4 days.
Other than that, even a caveman can do it.
rotfl4.gif

Enjoy

It's been said already but I always just:
-remove the front bolts completely
-unscrew the side bolts about halfway
-then loosen the rear bolts a little at a time, as you do the pan will open at the front and hang kinda cockeyed on the rear bolts..fluid will start dumping out the front, then as it empties just slowly remove the side, then rear bolts, lower it down and dump what remains in the pan. I like using the heavier latex gloves, I get more on my hands than on the ground..

Thanks for the advice!! Dropping the pan was pretty clean. The most mess came when I put the socket I was using off to the side. No unexpected trash in the pan, Yee Haa. Bought a pan on ebay and it was unexpectedly heavy, thought it would be glorified aluminum foil.
trans3.jpg
trans2.jpg

I've used a boat oil extractor (vacuum siphon with catch can) to pull oil through the dipstick tube. Used it on bmw cars that have the oil filter housing on the top of the motor...change oil and filter without having to work underneath. Haven't used it on a Mopar but it would probably work, and cut down on the mess.

Thought of that after I had the car in the air. I'm not steady on my feet, can't feel them. Working on a step is hazardous. Monday I'll change out manual reverse pattern valve body and I hope to button it up.

I was told that the reason factory pans dont have a drain plug was to encourage techs to change the filter, rather than just put in new fluid. (You've already got the
pan off and made a mess, you might as well). That said,if you're gonna do it right anyway, there is no reason not to put in a drain plug. I put drain plugs in every rear end and trans i work on.

pump.JPG
I was told that the reason factory pans dont have a drain plug was to encourage techs to change the filter, rather than just put in new fluid. (You've already got the
pan off and made a mess, you might as well). That said,if you're gonna do it right anyway, there is no reason not to put in a drain plug. I put drain plugs in every rear end and trans i work on.
Started a thread about pulling trans pan. Should have it before putting car in the air. Pull dipstick a hand pump suction tube in and pump it out, O'well. Did it the way suggested in thread. No real mess.
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/pulling-trans-pan-mess-or-what.150254/

Auto Transport Service
Back