• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Purpose of shims between steering gear and K frame

Black_Sheep

Super Commando
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:51 AM
Reaction score
Just like the title says, what purpose do they serve and how do I determine how many if any are needed?

Never saw them either.. Sounds like something a body shop would do after getting things close enough..

It adjusts bump steer, usually done at a dealer due to incorrectly welded k-frames.

I made a Wedge shim for my 69 due to the steering shafts were pretty far-off. But I'm changing out the k- frame anyway for a different reason. So hopefully it aligns better.
And I never saw a shim in this location either.

I have them on my 70 Charger. Two if my memory serves me correct.

Edit...
Memory is not what it use to be. Sorry my bad. I only had the one also.

Last edited:
Mine had a single shim at the upper mounting bolt. I assumed it is to get the pitman and idler arms on the same horizontal plane. Thanks guys…

edited to override autocorrect

Last edited:
Mine had a single shim at the upper mounting bolt. I assumed it is to get the pitman and ladled arms on the same horizontal plane. Thanks guys…
Is this on your 69X?

I just came in from the shop. Took a picture of the box. I knew I had the shim wired into to position so I would know where it went. Yes Black Sheep same spot.

Steering box.JPG

I have seen them have one From factory. It is when the steering box rocks on the 3 pads. This will get it to sit flat to bolt it down.

if they didn’t do this it would be flexing the box when bolted down.

also the large diameter at the top of the box sometimes touches the frame rail

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back