• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about 69 GTX wiring??

Lineman

Local time
11:48 AM
Reaction score
Three questions here and please reference the attached pictures.

1. Exactly where would the correct place be to run to tach wire thru the firewall with the harness I bought??

2. What is the yellow wire doing coming from the firewall connection block to the relay? Looks like a cobbled up mess to me, speaking of that is that heavy wire correct going thru the firewall above the solenoid (I haven't traced it out yet).

3. What is the brown thin wire with the black connector on it?

I think the pictures loaded in a backwards order to the questions..

Thanks for the help. Jay

PXL_20201012_011844918.jpg PXL_20201012_011807030.jpg PXL_20201012_011532810.jpg

brown wire with yellow trace, comes from transmision neutral safety switch. Plug is shaped to fit just on the indicated prong. Your relay is however 4 speeds without this provision on relay

yellow wire comes from ignition switch to trigger the starter relay

Both go of course to the starter relay

despite the arrow draw on the photo. That was made mostly sure to show what to jump trying to test the starter motor bypassing the relay.

1715145121.jpg

C2moGWAg1zSKLErDWipsh1vbuTNTc0xhesPx9ZY4oJd-BMGBae6OpAwdOfSI2JEjxW98o3jEWOsIXN_EZHFnzVwlwuPU_JbQ.jpg

and tach wire. ( as mentioned the relay without the NSS ground provission since are for 4 speeds. 4 speeds with neutral ground signal from clutch pedal began on 70s being a green wire but same plug, coming out from of course inside the cab ). On your car that hole is being used to some wiring bypass. Mostly sure battery or alternator. Or maybe to feed some accesories added into the cab ( Stereo powerplant ? )

5986080-tachhole.jpg

this is the relay for Autos up to 69, and for autos and manual transmisions since 70 up to around 75/76

md2364.jpg

You need a new relay anyway, since it seems your one is tricked somehow due the broken/missed Ign prong

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the great help... I just ordered the starter relay.. I figured the relay was jacked up. Didn't think about that plug being the neutral safety switch, and that red conductor going thru the firewall in the tach location is something they probably had for the electric radiator fans I have since removed (thought I pulled the wiring out for all that... but there is one switch left in the car)... The wrong person sure can do a lot of harm to a good car... Appreciate the help so much!!

Auto Transport Service
Back