• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about panel installation

fla 66 cuda

Local time
3:10 AM
Reaction score
I'm rebuilding a 73 charger i'm in the process of hanging the bolt on sheet metal for alignment/fittage prior to prime and paint [it's not going to be a showcar i don't suppose, just a decent driver]. My question is if i have my doors,fenders,hood,trunk where i want them how or what tricks are there to get them in the same place after i paint. I have heard of drilling holes thru the hinges into the body or panel so you can insert an alignment pin upon reinstallation to prevent messin up the paint but i'm not sure what to do with the holes after they are installed [everything is painted]. My plan is to hang sheetmetal [which i have done] align everything [figure out how to put it in same place] remove the panels prep and paint the jambs, inside the panels rehang them on the car and paint the outside with everything installed [after backtaping all the gaps]. I'm not a paint and body man and just looking for sugesstions from those whom have been there done that,i don't want to make more work for myself. Thanks in advance.

that trick you talked about works,you just drill with a small drill bit and use it to realign the pannels with the holes you made.just try to drill in places you almost wont see and just leave the holes when done.they are almost invisable when painted.

Thank you just wanted to get an opinion before i ruined something.

Sounds like a lot of unnecessary work to me, drilling holes into the jamb areas intended to be water tight would be my last choice. Prep/paint (cut-in) jambs and undersides of the bolt on panels and doors prior to the initial fitment/alignment, why do it twice? Final paint complete vehicle only after gaps and door alignment are set correctly. Pretty standard approach by the profession.
DSC00332r.jpg

That's why i'm asking, drilling holes in the jambs was a consern to me as stated i'm not a professional. So if i understand what your saying is prep/paint insides of panels hang them align them then paint the outside as an assembly.

I've always wondered how the factory got the lower cowl inside the fender hinge area, and also how they managed to get the bolt on emblems and trim on the fenders without taking them off after being painted!!

Auto Transport Service
Back