• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

QUESTION Current Location Of The Purple 1971 Hemi GTX 4 Speed Car That I Used To Own?

hemi71x

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:48 AM
Reaction score
Would anyone out there in the Mopar world, know where the Purple, 1971 Hemi GTX 4 Speed car, in now located, and possibly who the owner is?
It's had three different owners since i sold it off back in 2010.
I kept it for 33 years before i sold it.
That's another long story, for another time.
I sold it to a big league collector in Southern California, that had it in his collection for ten years or more.
Then he sold it to someone that i think is named Flanagan, or Finnegan, in what i think was Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, one of the (I) states?
I knew it was put up for auction at one of big national auction houses a few years back, that i thought that it didn't sell at the reserve price, of $350,000 thousand dollars.
I just got a phone call from the guy that i purchased the car from, back in 1977, years ago, saying it has sold at $250,000 thousand dollars.
If that's true, someone new to me, is the current owner.
I would like to know more about that car, since i owned it.
Anyone out there know where it's at?
It's like it fell off the face of the Earth.
You can write me a pm if you wish, and not make it public.
Thank's a lot. Appreciate any information.
Jim V.
hemi71x
EDIT:
I found this on the internet, from back in 2020, when the car went up for auction.

1971 Plymouth Hemi GTX at Indy 2020 as S160 - Mecum Auctions

I'm getting closer.
I found this video yesterday, on you Tube.

Picture 006 (Small) (2).jpg

Last edited:
Dang that’s a pretty rare GTX, only 11 of them were made with the four speed and 426 Hemi.

Beautiful car. If you have the vin that will help.

Have you researched the big auction sites to see if you can find the sale?

Beautiful car. If you have the vin that will help.

Have you researched the big auction sites to see if you can find the sale?
When the former owner of my old car found out it was at a national auction, he contacted the auction firm, if he could make contact with that owner, giving him information about the car when he was the owner.
Auction house declined to release any information, stating privacy laws.
So in turn, I'm not going to have any success either, in that regard.

Dang that’s a pretty rare GTX, only 11 of them were made with the four speed and 426 Hemi.
Ya, it was a daily driver, during my ownership with it.
I'm well known, still to this day, with me driving it everywhere, during my ownership.

I'm well known, still to this day, with me driving it everywhere, during my ownership.
Yup... I saw Jim & his GTX all over back in the day.... Around Sacramento? Sure Easy..... Fremont? Yeah more than once... But down in Socal... On many occasions...

Yup... I saw Jim & his GTX all over back in the day.... Around Sacramento? Sure Easy..... Fremont? Yeah more than once... But down in Socal... On many occasions...
1 Wild R/T
Boy, if you thought that i drove that old Hemi GTX of mine everywhere.
In making contact with the guy that i purchased it from, he told me he drove it "Off Road" so to speak, numerous times.
He got stuck, deep in beach sand somewhere, driving it onto some oceans beach.
Took it on dirt roads up in Pikes Peak, here in the USA.
That GTX has seen a lot, other than some of the owners never driving them, other than keeping them in their collection.
Jim V.
hemi71x

Last edited:
We always thought of them as cars... Some folks see them as trophies...

.. Some folks see them as trophies...
F that.

Mine aint no trophy or even a garage queen. Ask anyone around my area and they will tell you . Its gets driven. A LOT

I dont care what it is, or what its worth. If I cant drive it, I have no use for it.
These were taken in northern AZ the 1st year I owned it.

Last photo was last year at the Spring Fling cruise down the Pacific Coast Hwy

193486516_4747099671985835_5679192949011139485_n.jpg

193767375_4740599279302541_4109717723819961220_n.jpg

rt66.jpg

PCH-cruise.jpg

Would anyone out there in the Mopar world, know where the Purple, 1971 Hemi GTX 4 Speed car, in now located, and possibly who the owner is?
It's had three different owners since i sold it off back in 2010.
I kept it for 33 years before i sold it.
That's another long story, for another time.
I sold it to a big league collector in Southern California, that had it in his collection for ten years or more.
Then he sold it to someone that i think is named Flanagan, or Finnegan, in what i think was Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, one of the (I) states?
I knew it was put up for auction at one of big national auction houses a few years back, that i thought that it didn't sell at the reserve price, of $350,000 thousand dollars.
I just got a phone call from the guy that i purchased the car from, back in 1977, years ago, saying it has sold at $250,000 thousand dollars.
If that's true, someone new to me, is the current owner.
I would like to know more about that car, since i owned it.
Anyone out there know where it's at?
It's like it fell off the face of the Earth.
You can write me a pm if you wish, and not make it public.
Thank's a lot. Appreciate any information.
Jim V.
hemi71x
EDIT:
I found this on the internet, from back in 2020, when the car went up for auction.

1971 Plymouth Hemi GTX at Indy 2020 as S160 - Mecum Auctions

I'm getting closer.
I found this video yesterday, on you Tube.

View attachment 1634028

Same guy in the video still owns it.

I recall in the early 90s before I had even met you, I saw it in the parking lot of U-pull-it on Stockton blvd. I was thinking who drives a purple hemi X to go junk yarding??!
Travis..

Just an FYI pretty sure a few months back there was some sort of "Barn find" out of like a Queens or Bronx garage that sort of fit that description from my recollection

Auto Transport Service
Back