• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

question for electricians on home project

dan juhasz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:18 AM
Reaction score
going to do a backsplash in the kitchen, are there spacers that are made to compensate for the tile thickness so the outlets and switches are at the proper depth.

They are called trim rings, and are the same size of the existing box, but are 1/2" or 3/4" deep depending on your needs.
I've always heard them called mud rings... And probably 75% of tile installs don't have them, just spacers like Dan was referring to....
s-l400.jpg

I've always heard them called mud rings... And probably 75% of tile installs don't have them, just spacers like Dan was referring to.... View attachment 1475077
I used mud rings when I prewired houses for built-in home theater and multi-room stereo systems. They can be used without a J-box for low voltage only. What @CarolinaCharger is talking about looks like this:

20230605_161147.jpg

I haven't seen that. I like that better. If you don't cut your tile the right size for the box, you end up doing that with a chunk of shim or whatever you can make work.
Those are shims, you get longer screws, and those go between the plug and box, and they’re pretty cheap

And they come with longer screws.
Down these parts we just use longer screws.

I don't always fix the flush box securely, as the tiler generally likes to move them around to suit the tile layout.
Standard screws are 1-1/4" (32mm) and longer screws are 2" (51mm)

We do have conduit box extension housings, but they are more commercial/industrial.

Down these parts we just use longer screws.
That's all you need.
The receptacle/switch 'ears' will be on the tile surface and provide rigidity, the longer screws will allow it to attach to the box, and the wall plate will make it all disappear....but then again, what do I know...

Untitled.jpg

Those Cat-a=pillar shims are a code violation here in NC. The edge of the box, or extension must be flush with the finish wall surface.

Those Cat-a=pillar shims are a code violation here in NC. The edge of the box, or extension must be flush with the finish wall surface.
The NEC we use (2008) is 1/4 inch back from non combustible materials (drywall) and flush for combustible materials (wood paneling). Hardly anyone is using wood paneling these days so I do not install very many flush mounted boxes. Old work boxes are of course flush.

They are called trim rings, and are the same size of the existing box, but are 1/2" or 3/4" deep depending on your needs.
You can actually get from 1/4“ to 3/4”. I have my electrician use them so my tile guys have less of a chance getting knocked on their butt, from mastic, mortar or grout, touching the hot side of the plug. Extension rings, Home Depot, Lowes, Menards.

I've always heard them called mud rings... And probably 75% of tile installs don't have them, just spacers like Dan was referring to.... View attachment 1475077
Those are for rough in, prior to sheeting of whatever. If you know what thickness the final product will be, you can utilize the appropriate one.

That's all you need.
The receptacle/switch 'ears' will be on the tile surface and provide rigidity, the longer screws will allow it to attach to the box, and the wall plate will make it all disappear....but then again, what do I know...

View attachment 1475065
It's when the ears don't grab..then you get your wiggly piece of **** . I'm learning from this thread.
I give it; :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back