• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on my valvetrain

RockinRobert

Local time
9:27 PM
Reaction score
I have a pushrod ticking. 440 RB. The pushrods/rocker arms are the ball/cup type. #1 exhaust pushrod has almost an 1/8 inch of play when the lifter is on the base of the cam lobe. Do I need to pull the rocker shaft off to see if I have hydraulic or solid lifters? If hydraulic, is it ok to just adjust it? The reason I ask is that if I do adjust it down the adjuster on that rocker arm will not be even with the rest of the rocker arms. Leading me to believe I have a collapsed lifter. It's no big deal to take the rocker shaft of, I was just wondering what the experts think. I have enclosed a couple pics. There is no obvious wear on the cam lobes or lifter rollers. I hope this isnt too confusing! I appreciate any and all suggestion!!

IMG_1506.JPG IMG_1508.JPG

I would pull the lifter and take a look. Could be the roller went to s**t.

You need to determine if it is solid or hydraulic. On another lifter with the valve fully closed see if you can push the push rod back into the lifter a little bit. If hydraulic the lifter should want to give a bit and feel mushy. If solid and no give it most likely is solid. Seeing you know nothing about this motor and have a concern I would pull all the rockers and push rods. Mark where they go. Do a full inspection and determine what lifter. Inspect all the valve springs and test their pressures.

I may have incorrectly assumed that you didn't just get this engine recently?
If it WAS adjusted properly, then something has gone to hell. 1/8" is .125 thou!

I don’t know what they are yet! If it was solid it could be just adjusted wrong. That’s why I’m here asking questions.
While that could be true adjustment wise 1/8 is a lot of lash. Like I said you should look for any possible causes of this before it is a real problem. Also with the rockers off you can check valve heights. If the clacker is lower than the rest than there could be a valve, guide or seat causing an issue. Like I said pull both sides, determine lifter status and inspect everything. That costs you nothing and gains your knowledge as to what is there. If nothing bad shows up assemble and adjust. Run it and see where it takes you. Why did you pull the intake?

Do the others have “lash”?
If not, theyre likely not solid lifters.

Look at the pushrod seat height on the pair of lifters where the one has all the clearance.
Are they the same, or is one down farther?

You should also check/compare pushrod lengths, and the lengths of the rocker adjuster screws, along with their relationship in the rocker itself(number of threads showing, etc).

Also check the valve tip heights.

Something off 1/8” shouldn’t be too hard to find.

The link bar attachment arrangement does look like Comp solids.

Last edited:
Ok here’s the lifter in question. I see no holes in the side of the lifter body so that means it’s solid? But the small black disc with two grooves in it fell out of it. One of those grooves has a o-ring in it. But inside of the lifter is hollow. I’m confused.

02C06005-7228-412B-9717-75A2A270AB8A.jpeg 4D770680-23F5-48AF-8288-D728549FC880.jpeg D1E3B919-2312-460E-8B06-1E350AC20088.jpeg 9DDDE9B6-C42B-45C7-83FB-54E16CBDB6BC.jpeg

Have you finished Dwayne's suggested checks in post #9?

Ok here’s the lifter in question. I see no holes in the side of the lifter body so that means it’s solid? But the small black disc with two grooves in it fell out of it. One of those grooves has a o-ring in it. But inside of the lifter is hollow. I’m confused.

View attachment 1256088 View attachment 1256089 View attachment 1256090 View attachment 1256091
Can you move the roller around? Looks like it's flush with the body in the last pic
Another thing is maybe the rocker is starting to split with the solid roller cam..

Those are Comp 829’s.

The pushrod seat is held in place by the pushrod.
The o-ring is there to keep it from falling out while handling.

I don’t know how it would ever come out in normal operation.

I have seen them where there is almost no drag from the o-ring though, and if you’re not careful, the oil in the cup will create some suction on the pushrod, and when you pull the pushrod out, the cup will come with it.

I have seen them where there is almost no drag from the o-ring though, and if you’re not careful, the oil in the cup will create some suction on the pushrod, and when you pull the pushrod out, the cup will come with it.
That is exactly what happened! I couldn’t figure out why a solid lifter would come apart Thank you!!!

Last edited:
So these lifters did not have pressure feed oiling to the roller?

Auto Transport Service
Back