• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

question: underside of hood for airgrabber setup

citadel

Local time
8:38 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone have a pic of the underside of the hood so I can see where the airgrabber attaches too?

Also, any idea if I need to remove these silver plates that look to be under the mesh vents? I am trying to add in an Air Grabber setup...

How does the air flow from the vents into the fiberglass channels?

Pic #1 is my air vent on hood. This was not an original air grabber. See the metal plate under the mesh

Pci 32 is the under side of the hood... trying to understand how the airflow works and where the fiberglass sections connect to...

Attachments

• hood vent grill.JPG
    hood vent grill.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 387
  • underside of hood 2.JPG
    underside of hood 2.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 360
Take off the hood inserts....You have about 7-8 studs and pal nuts (or some sort of fastener, who knows after 43 years) underneath holding each side in. Once the insert is off, on the underside of it you'll see little L-shaped brackets with phillips screws holding that plate in place...

Sorry, can't help you with the rest, don't have an air grabber car

not great or up close but here goes

Attachments

• P9190071dcgtghtg.JPG
    P9190071dcgtghtg.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 285
  • P9190070dcfr.JPG
    P9190070dcfr.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 280
  • 69rundfrddfd.jpg
    69rundfrddfd.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 287
  • 69 rr 1dtfgt.jpg
    69 rr 1dtfgt.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 289
  • 69rr dc2fr.jpg
    69rr dc2fr.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 291
Your hood is not a N96 Air Grabber hood, it does not have the sheet metal cut outs under your mesh inserts to allow fresh air to pass thru the hood to your duct work.

Your hood is not a N96 Air Grabber hood, it does not have the sheet metal cut outs under your mesh inserts to allow fresh air to pass thru the hood to your duct work.

The hood looks right to me- just the screens have something blocking the air. I may be wrong, but I thought all 69 RoadRunner/GTX hoods were the same, just the airgrabber setup had screens.
The airgrabber ducts are attatched to the underside of the hood with large O.D. aluminum rivets, and palnuts and bolts. I don't have any pics to share, but I see the hardware kits on ebay all the time. The 69 factory service manual has a pic of how it all goes together.

Propwash mentions that the plate cane be removed. I guess I will find out.... Not sure why the plate is there.. could be because only the vents were installed and the underhood duct work wasnt done yet..... Kinda weird...

ok. I removed the hood vents and removed the metal plate per the advice above.
I am confused still. The recessed sections of the hood that the air vents sit on dont have a opening for the air to flow through..... Any ideas? I just had an air grabber fiberglass unit restored to mount under my hood. I am not certain how it will suck air into the cleaner.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• hood.JPG
    hood.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 251
  • under hood.JPG
    under hood.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 245
Must be my lucky day...

I thought the hoods were the same on 69 cars but the vents were different. Does anyone know the difference in the hoods? I cant seem to find that detail on the forum. I am hoping we can modify the hood to make it work since the car will be in the body shop for restoration for quite a while.
Here are some pics I have found that show cut outs in the hood. Not sure if they are correct...
Thoughts?

Attachments

• P1010010.jpg
    P1010010.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_6965.jpg
    IMG_6965.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_6960.jpg
    IMG_6960.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_6955.jpg
    IMG_6955.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 229
ok.. got this pic from the RK Motors sales web site. This is leading me to believe that these cutouts are what should be in a Air Grabber Hood from factory. Looks like I may be able to mimic them by cutting the hood.

Attachments

• 118927_7835b27b4e_low_res.jpg
    118927_7835b27b4e_low_res.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 216
I have my 69 RR N96 hood apart right now.

I'll go snap a couple phone pis for you.

Hold on.

well, thanks, lol!

here's my crappy pictures of my crusty hood.

Resampled_2012-04-15_21-06-40_504.jpg

Resampled_2012-04-15_21-05-33_383.jpg

Resampled_2012-04-15_21-05-24_409.jpg

Resampled_2012-04-15_21-04-48_863.jpg

looks like mine doesn't have those ribs, but mine is unaltered. I drilled the rivets to take out all my N96 pieces so I could strip and paint the hood shell and freshen up the N96 with new hardware and gaskets/boot.

looks like I got some cutting to do! I hope this thread helps anyone else who may be confused about these hoods :)

The hood that you have with your car appears to be one from `68, pre availability of the N96 option. I think all `69s had the cutouts. The first pic in post #10 is a good one for how they looked fro the factory. As far as the inserts, that is where the difference in the N96 and non-N96 was, not the hoods themselves.

Does this mean that there are other issues beyond me simply adding the cutouts to the hood in the recessed sections?
If I look closey I think there are holes in the bottom of the hood for the air grabber setup to be rivetted to. Not sure when they would be there if it wasnt a 1969 hood.
Anyone have a 1968 hood that can share some pics of the bottom of the hood and of the area where the hood vents bolt on?

Attachments

• hood 4.JPG
    hood 4.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 204
here is a picture of the hood AMD lists for the 1968-1969 roadrunner. Seems the the same hood is sold for both the 68 and 69 cars. I will call them to ask for more detail....

Attachments

• $(KGrHqN,!pcE8WsBfnqBBPWRoLrTp!~~60_58.jpg
    $(KGrHqN,!pcE8WsBfnqBBPWRoLrTp!~~60_58.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
called the AMD guys and they mentioned that they believe the 68 hoods did not have the cut outs and that all the 69 hoods had the cut outs. They said other than that the hoods are completely interchangable.
I took a close look at my hood and compared it to the green and blue hoods above with the air grabber cutouts. My hood has the exact same small holes as those 2 hoods. It looks like those small pin size holes are used to mount the rivets for the air grabber unit. So this would lead me to believe that after we cut out the openings in the hood using images of the hood cut outs above as a template, we can simply rivet on the fiberglass air grabber unit to the bottom of the hood.
Thoughts?

Yours looks like it should accept the ductwork without issue. If yours happened to be an early `68 hood the underside might be different and not accomidate the ductwork. I found that on 2 `68 Coronet hoods I had 1 early and 1 late, that they had different understructure and through a little research figured out that mid year or later they changed tooling in preparation for the N96 option in `69. I don't know any of this for sure, I was not there but that's the best way I can make sense out of it. Hope it works out for you.

Auto Transport Service
Back