• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions on Lifters

khryslerkid

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:58 PM
Reaction score
When I bought the Summit K6401 cam, it came with the KT 2011 lifters. I just realized they are for oiling type push rods.
Can you use these with solid type push rods?
Also I can not find any specs on what size ball is recommended for these. 5/16 or 3/8.

TIA

Don't know about those particular lifters.
But, any hydraulic lifters, err...tappets (ha!), can be used with 'oiling type rods' or solids.
Are you thinking about the hole in the cup, piston, or what you want to call it? That hole is for oil bleed-off from the lifter pumping up action. Side hole pulls oil in from the oil galley. Mainly just keeps the pushrod end oiled up, solid, or hollow.

Thanks Miller

I noticed the factory ones are solid, inside caps, and it just had me wondering if the hole in these would have any adverse effect. Then again it would supply the tip with oil like you mensioned.

These are a so called stock replacement so I'm thinking they use the 5/16 tip (ball). I have both size tips and the 5/16 does seem to seat better than the 3/8. This stuff now days seems to be more universal and it's hard to be sure.

Dito on the "tappets". When's the last time we delt with "babbitt" bearings! Lol

When's the last time we delt with "babbitt" bearings! Lol
Hehe...yeah, I still deal with 'em. Too dang old to change now, besides...fairly hard-headed to boot.
Bottom line on those ball end sizes, it needs to fully seat into the cup. That's the main thing. Otherwise, things are gonna get beat up.

Worked many years on nine cylinder engines...and only ONE babbitt bearing for all those rods to sling around on. Neat stuff.

Auto Transport Service
Back