• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quick '62 K-frame question...

I replaced the trans mount in my '64 318 poly/auto with the same mount in khryslerkid's pic.
When I went to convert my '62 from a 318 poly/auto to a 383 4 speed all the info I could find stated to use the same trans mount as my '64.
Problem was, that mount suddenly became ridiculously over priced and/or impossible to find.

I looked up the mount for my '67 a-body 383 4 speed, basically the same trans mount except it has only 1 bolt/nut that goes through the trans mount. It's good enough for a factory bb 4 speed, and it works fine in my '62 for a fraction of the price.

I replaced the trans mount in my '64 318 poly/auto with the same mount in khryslerkid's pic.
When I went to convert my '62 from a 318 poly/auto to a 383 4 speed all the info I could find stated to use the same trans mount as my '64.
Problem was, that mount suddenly became ridiculously over priced and/or impossible to find.

I looked up the mount for my '67 a-body 383 4 speed, basically the same trans mount except it has only 1 bolt/nut that goes through the trans mount. It's good enough for a factory bb 4 speed, and it works fine in my '62 for a fraction of the price.
This is the one in my '62... I think i'm missing something, the bolt that goes through the crossmember to hold it is just sorta floating in space.. not sure if the bolt is supposed to have some rubber around it or something? Couldn't find much about this mount setup..
1703787713080.jpeg

Check to see if it matches a pre-62 mount, an earlier Forward Look mount maybe?

This is the one in my '62...
I have one of those, somewhere. Was given to me from a guy that bought it for his 62 Dart.
Yep, it wasn't right for his. But his car wasn't original.

Check to see if it matches a pre-62 mount, an earlier Forward Look mount maybe?
Yeah, i'll have to look some more, it looks like they changed mounts a few times over like a 5 year period.. my '62 has 61 mounts..

This is the one in my '62... I think i'm missing something, the bolt that goes through the crossmember to hold it is just sorta floating in space.. not sure if the bolt is supposed to have some rubber around it or something? Couldn't find much about this mount setup..
View attachment 1580831
This is the same mount I have on my 62 Chrysler. There is a large spring that fits on top and between the crossmember. I have a couple somewhere if you need one.

This is the same mount I have on my 62 Chrysler. There is a large spring that fits on top and between the crossmember. I have a couple somewhere if you need one.
I have the spring, but the bolt that goes through the crossmember has a big washer(built onto the bolt) on the top and a small one where it meets up with the mount with about a 1.5" shoulder in between.. Am kinda curious if that is supposed to have a rubber gromet or something, it seems it would clunk around in the hole it fits into.

I have the spring, but the bolt that goes through the crossmember has a big washer(built onto the bolt) on the top and a small one where it meets up with the mount with about a 1.5" shoulder in between.. Am kinda curious if that is supposed to have a rubber gromet or something, it seems it would clunk around in the hole it fits into.
Yep, that's the one. It's kind of a dumb design - to much slop in my opinion. I'm thinking you could easily fab up something more efficient by looking at later model year mounts for reference.

Is the '62 tranny crossmember different than '63-'65 because of this spring mount? Or is it just the bolt-in transmission mount that is different?Someone on here had an early crossmember for sale.
Edit: I did not see post # 10 before I wrote this. Totally different than my '64 crossmember. If you want to convert to '63-'65 rubber mount, I have a spare '63-'65 transmission crossmember. that I will never use. You can have it if you want to pay shipping. I am not that far from you, near London, Ontario.

Last edited:
Is the '62 tranny crossmember different than '63-'65 because of this spring mount? Or is it just the bolt-in transmission mount that is different?Someone on here had an early crossmember for sale.
Edit: I did not see post # 10 before I wrote this. Totally different than my '64 crossmember. If you want to convert to '63-'65 rubber mount, I have a spare '63-'65 transmission crossmember. that I will never use. You can have it if you want to pay shipping. I am not that far from you, near London, Ontario.
I have this setup already in... as long as it works im ok with it :) Rather someone gets it that will need it

Auto Transport Service
Back