• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quiet electric fuel pump?

72redbird

Local time
8:38 AM
Reaction score
I've got a buddy of mine who is wanting to install an electric fuel pump on his Charger. But it has to be quiet, he doesn't want to hear it. Has anyone had any luck finding a quiet one? All the ones I've run make noise. Do quiet ones exist?
Thanks

My Holley red pump makes me wanna throw it.
In videos, its louder than my 440s dumped exhaust!

I run the holley black pump. I ran a dead head system for many years, and it was loud. After changing it to a return system, the pump is quieter.

Edelbrock supposedly makes a Quiet-flo pump. I don't know if it's quiet or not.
In-tank pump with a return will probably be quietest, I sure would not go to all that bother just for a quiet pump!
If he can hear a pump over his engine, he hasn't got near enough engine!
My suggestion? Turn up the radio.

For what it's worth: my 250gph mallory gerotor is MUCH quieter than my 140gph vane type trick flow. (Gerotor, same as bbm oil pump)

Depending on what his fuel volume needs are I would look into a Carter Competition mechanical fuel pump.

Carter Mechanical Fuel Pump

A stock OEM style fuel mechanical pump outputs about 45 gallons per hour. The Carter Competition mechanical pump outputs 120 gallons per hour.

My friend Jody tried 4-5 different OEM style fuel pumps on his 1967 427 BBC Caprice that wasn't supplying enough volume and sucking the Qudra Jet dry by mid 2nd gear.

After he installed the Carter Competition pump he's never had a fuel supply issue and you don't hear it making any noise.

I am personally not a fan of electric pumps unless it's a track car only. This pump is really a great option to avoid noise.

Tom

Mechanical pumps also fearure a unique ability to heat the cool fuel up to 200°

Edelbrock supposedly makes a Quiet-flo pump. I don't know if it's quiet or not.
In-tank pump with a return will probably be quietest, I sure would not go to all that bother just for a quiet pump!
If he can hear a pump over his engine, he hasn't got near enough engine!
My suggestion? Turn up the radio.

For what it's worth: my 250gph mallory gerotor is MUCH quieter than my 140gph vane type trick flow. (Gerotor, same as bbm oil pump)
I had issues with the Edelbrock Quiet-flo pump staying primed. Maybe my new pump was defective, but not impressed with the Edelbrock pump.
The Mallory 250 pump is a good pump, and for its size is quieter than many other pumps like the Hollys, but it is not quiet.
For quiet, an in-tank Walbro pump with return line you won't hear once the car is running, they are pretty quiet, but detectable with no other noise around.

The BEST pump is the Carter Electric pump, either 72 or 100 GPH versions. It is the only external pump that I am aware of that has the fuel circulating through the electrical section. This does a number of things: lubes the bearings, cools the motor & eliminates the seal between the elec & pump section [ this seal is what often fails on Holley pumps ].
They are quieter than H pumps. How you mount the pump will make a difference as to much noise you will hear. I have the 100 GPH pump on my car & it is mounted behind the driver's side rear wheel, which shields the noise. I do not hear it. Mount it to the trunk floor & you WILL hear it.

I've got a buddy of mine who is wanting to install an electric fuel pump on his Charger. But it has to be quiet, he doesn't want to hear it. Has anyone had any luck finding a quiet one? All the ones I've run make noise. Do quiet ones exist?
Thanks
I recently swapped out the Bosch inline on the chassis rail to an in-tank Holley pump. I can hardly hear the in-tank pump. I don't mind a hint of sound, but anything on the chassis rail will be annoying. I am very happy with my swap.

BTW ..... Warning to everyone...stay well clear of the Holley Billet Iinline pumps....they are junk. I went through two with the same problem.
Holley was not interested in entering into a conversation about them.

The small brown castellated nut on the end of the shaft was 'floating loose' upon dis-assembly to find the issue. Once I popped it back it worked....but I wasn't prepared to trust something so shoddy.

Both pumps did the same dance.

Expensive junk.

I have a Mr Gasket in line pump on mine. Massively quieter than the Holley pump that was on there.

What is his volume demand? I run this one on my Charger and it is very quiet, but not high volume.

Carter P60430.jpg

If you run a Dominator or a pair of 660's you probably need a big old noisy electric pump. We haven't heard from the OP what the friend is up to with his combo.

Nobody ? Nobody else has used a Holley Gerotor pump, as I have for many years ? It's not silent, but nowhere close to the usual noisy Holley & Carter pumps.

Nobody ? Nobody else has used a Holley Gerotor pump, as I have for many years ? It's not silent, but nowhere close to the usual noisy Holley & Carter pumps.
I've used a Mallory gerotor pump, 250gph, been real happy with it. Does that count?

Auto Transport Service
Back