• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quit my job

I would like to try my hand working in a machine shop.

Congrats on leaving the rat race. I left commercial construction management going on 10 years now and it’s one of the best things to ever happen to me.

Hey, if you’re interested in machining... there’s a technical career path that’s called Advanced Manufacturing. Involves Lean Manufacturing, CNC machining , manual machining, even some industrial controls. I teach in an advanced manufacturing program here in NJ (though I’m more robotics and controls).

I just googled a program in your neck of the woods... no idea of the quality of their program but maybe it’s worth a phone call.

http://www.emilygriffith.edu/advanced-manufacturing-laboratory

I quit my job of 11-years yesterday. Am I crazy?
Non-automotive, software related job that had good pay and benefits, buy I lost my passion for it.
Went to a therapist yesterday and she thinks that when I started getting sick a few years ago (was having sinus infections, headaches, and bad side effects from meds) that I started having depression.
I could get another good job doing the same type of work, but my heart is not in it.
I would like to try my hand working in a machine shop.
Right now, I'm not concerned about having a paying job.
I just would like to see if I enjoy the work?
When I was working at the transmission/exhaust shop years ago, I liked the hands on type of work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks all.
This all depends on a few things like do you support a family or are you on your own, either way good luck. Machinist? I dont know. I know machinist's and tool and die makers. A lot of guys like to bullshit there a machinist because they can run a lathe or there a welder because they can run a bead. These guys are neither and talk being cheap i can only tell you i have over 40 years in industry so trust me I've seen some in my time. I come from a family of first class machinist's and tool and die makers and before you can call yourself a first class machinist be prepared to work for years in that field. Not trying to discourage you but I'm not going to sugar coat it either.
If you want to work with your hands than its your call and i get that as i could never sit at a desk all day in front of a computer.
Maybe I'm not the best person to ask as my life was getting married young, owning a home before i was 25 and three kids before i was 30. So being happy in my job was not as important as what i put in my pocket on pay day. I worked two jobs for decades doing anything i could to turn a buck. There were no hobby cars and no extras. But that was me and again i hope you find something that makes you happy

I've been at the same job 40 years this year. Boss makes me come in and do things no one else does at all times of the day or night. He's a real prick. Oh wait, I'm self employed !!!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

When I transitioning from my original program to another, that is when I started taking night classes in welding. 4 nights a week, 4 hours per night for a year, so I have some welding background by training and home/car projects but not in the industry. I do own some decent equipment like my Miller dynasty 280 tig tunner, a Hobart Mig, a Tweeco multi-process welder, a plasma cutter, and HD smith oxy acetylene cutting/welding setup.
I guess I have time to build the headers for the Jensen Interceptor now :)

When I transitioning from my original program to another, that is when I started taking night classes in welding. 4 nights a week, 4 hours per night for a year, so I have some welding background by training and home/car projects but not in the industry. I do own some decent equipment like my Miller dynasty 280 tig tunner, a Hobart Mig, a Tweeco multi-process welder, a plasma cutter, and HD smith oxy acetylene cutting/welding setup.
I guess I have time to build the headers for the Jensen Interceptor now :)
If you want to weld consider Lincoln electric tech school. I understand its not cheap or you could apply to the apprentice program for the Boilermakers ,Steamfitters union. The boilermakers have a excellent apprentice program and its a excellent paying job but i dont know how much work is in your area and you will have to travel. Be forewarned its not a easy life. When you get a big job you'll work 12 hour days seven days a week for as long as it takes. Ive met and worked with union steamfitters, they have some of the best welders I've encountered, they may have more work. As a apprentice the pay is low till you become a journeymen. I also would look into applying to local utilities, the work is more steady and there are many positions from power generation to lineman overhead or underground, but again you start entry level. There is also many technical positions but usually they may require a degree in some sort of electrical or mechanical areas, still its worth looking into and these can be rewarding good careers.

I've been at the same job 40 years this year. Boss makes me come in and do things no one else does at all times of the day or night. He's a real prick. Oh wait, I'm self employed !!!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Same here. I started working for my dad in November 1978 on his 50th birthday & I took over the business 21 years ago as a one man band. Once I got comfortable in the position, I hired a good friend in 1999 & he's been with me since. Over the years, I changed the focus of the business & we had our best year ever in 2017. We now have 3 employees and we keep the business lean, but all of us together are very, very efficient.

Of course I would be nowhere without my dad's hard work and vision, but after 40 years, I'm now at the point where I'm more than ready to stop working and slow the pace down. Unfortunately, I'm still a few years away from that.

If you want to weld consider Lincoln electric tech school. I understand its not cheap or you could apply to the apprentice program for the Boilermakers ,Steamfitters union. The boilermakers have a excellent apprentice program and its a excellent paying job but i dont know how much work is in your area and you will have to travel. Be forewarned its not a easy life. When you get a big job you'll work 12 hour days seven days a week for as long as it takes. Ive met and worked with union steamfitters, they have some of the best welders I've encountered, they may have more work. As a apprentice the pay is low till you become a journeymen. I also would look into applying to local utilities, the work is more steady and there are many positions from power generation to lineman overhead or underground, but again you start entry level. There is also many technical positions but usually they may require a degree in some sort of electrical or mechanical areas, still its worth looking into and these can be rewarding good careers.

The welding program I took was Lincoln tech (Denver), about $15K for the program.

I have helped a few friends with some welding and wrenching jobs. I didn't ask them for money, just a beer or lunch, but they all insisted on giving me some cash. If I had a good number of those jobs, I could be self employed.

I have a few project cars I was planning to work on when I retire. Maybe finish the '69 Coronet 500 hardtop and sell it? My plan is to swap the original 318/904 drive train for a built 360 and 518 trans I already have.
I also have the '69 Coronet R/T hardtop basket case that I haven't really decided what direction to go on it? I have a 6.1L hemi/nag trans that I though about putting in that car?

The welding program I took was Lincoln tech (Denver), about $15K for the program.

I have helped a few friends with some welding and wrenching jobs. I didn't ask them for money, just a beer or lunch, but they all insisted on giving me some cash. If I had a good number of those jobs, I could be self employed.

I have a few project cars I was planning to work on when I retire. Maybe finish the '69 Coronet 500 hardtop and sell it? My plan is to swap the original 318/904 drive train for a built 360 and 518 trans I already have.
I also have the '69 Coronet R/T hardtop basket case that I haven't really decided what direction to go on it? I have a 6.1L hemi/nag trans that I though about putting in that car?
Forget about being self employed welding....At least until you have a lot of experience and have done a lot of jobs
That schooling you had can open doors such as those union apprenticeships or jobs with utilities/refineries/ mills/shipyards. Or you can look into city/state jobs. Or jobs with iron working shops and learn ornamental iron work. If you ever want to branch out on your own you absolutely should know ornamental work. Many small ornamental shops also do stair work and this is a skill all to itself plus bigger shops have iron workers (machines) sheers and brakes which you will learn to operate properly. You need to be able to read and interpret plans and fabricate off those plans
My point is the actual skill of being a competent welder is a small part of the job. Can you use a torch with any degree of skill. Can you do field fabrication. Do you know what size material and how to fabricate, fit , weldments that are high strength.
There is a lot of liability when you do welding jobs and while most welders are not mechanical engineers they know through years of doing this work what will work and what will not
Finally if you didn't you need to take welding tests as directed by AWS (American welding society) these qualifications will help you get a good job.
I hope this helps and best of luck

I had done some welding over the years before going to school for it, but learned alot more from the schooling. There is always more to learn.
The weld tests were an eye opener. Good looking welds can fail for a variety of reasons.
Learned blueprints, weld distortion, fixturing, pre/post heat, HAZ, backing gas, sanitary stainless steel, and more.
The thing that I did not like about welding school was many students did not clean up after themselves, and did not maintain the equipment, or know how to use it properly. The drill press table adjuster was stripped because someone tried to change the height without loosing the table clamp. Some would screw up the band saw blades, adjustments, and strip out bolts on the cutting equipment.
I get the AWS journal and the engineering studies are interesting.

Graveyard Carz needs machinist... :D

I don't really follow Graveyard cars, but I watched the latest episode where they were assembling the 340 engine.
I hope people don't use that as an example of correct engine assembly.
Installing all the bolts dry. No lube on any of the valve train or timing chain. No sealer on the bolts that are open to the water jackets and oil. To a lesser extent, gluing all the gaskets on.

My wife and I like the show. It definitely brings ordinary folks outside of our hobby some good exposure to Mopars.
If I ever considered selling my car, which I don't EVER plan on doing, I believe that show has a positive impact on bringing the prices up. Sucks if you are still looking to buy though. I also believe that it may keep more out of the crusher.

Looks like they do nice body work and detail restoration stuff, but not sure about the mechanical stuff. Looks like they never torque anything to spec except head bolts?

Looks like they never torque anything to spec except head bolts?
I "think" the powered 90° wrench I've seen them use has a torque preset, but not sure. I DON'T CARE how experienced Worman is, anything whose torque specs are critical for (way more fasteners than just cylinder head bolts are critical IMO) better damn well be torqued to spec!

My coworker and I are devoloping a certificate program in ‘mechatronics’ here in NJ. I’d guess they have something like that out there.

Mechatronics is industrial controls, troubleshooting industrial robotic assembly line type of stuff. Around here, companies start you at $30 an hour because they just can’t find anyone.

Your welding, fab and machining skills would come in handy because of a repair needs to be made to a line, often the tech just runs to the machine shop to fab something up.

Maybe something to look into.

Mechatronics is industrial controls, troubleshooting industrial robotic assembly line type of stuff.
THAT sounds really cool! Mentally challenging, physical skills required, good pay, and critical skills for today and into the future.
:thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back