• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

R-Body 1979-1981

charlie2951

Local time
4:52 PM
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I haven't been able to find an R-Body specific forum, I guess they aren't popular enough. I was hoping this thread would have a home here since the R and B are basically the same.

Does anyone have any experience with the R-body, any stories? Any chance anyone has owned one? I'm fascinated by them for whatever reason.

Thanks!

Welcome from the show me state!!

What is an R body?
I thought the 300s and Miranda( sp?) were B bodies. Are you talking about the big Chryslers??

Much like the F-M-J Mopar bodies,not much of a following. I worked at Dodge back in those days and was(still am)a fan of these cars.I even owned a few F-bodies back then. With a bit of work,mostly the rubber iso-suspension they can be good performers.The big + is they can be had cheap.Many can be found in very good shape,low miles from oldsters that bought them new still sitting in the garage.Just gotta look.
You might get a little love from the "C" body guys. They didn't turn me away with my 79 Chrysler 300 though it was a "B" body.

Welcome to the site!

Thanks for the welcomes everyone! An R-Body is a 1979-1981 Chrysler New Yorker or Newport, a 1979-1981 Dodge St. Regis, or a 1980-1981 Plymouth Gran Fury. When GM and Ford downsized their platforms in the late 70s, Chrysler couldn't afford a full redesign, so essentially they moved their full size platform to the B-Body and called it the R-Body.

Much like the F-M-J Mopar bodies,not much of a following. I worked at Dodge back in those days and was(still am)a fan of these cars.I even owned a few F-bodies back then. With a bit of work,mostly the rubber iso-suspension they can be good performers.The big + is they can be had cheap.Many can be found in very good shape,low miles from oldsters that bought them new still sitting in the garage.Just gotta look.
You might get a little love from the "C" body guys. They didn't turn me away with my 79 Chrysler 300 though it was a "B" body.

Awesome story! I agree, that's the huge upside. The huge downside, of course, is that they never put big blocks in them. But still, they can be had cheap. Difficult to find though. The '79 300 is awesome, the last real RWD performance car Chrysler built until the LX cars, I would argue. True dual exhaust with the E58 360! Do you like your 300?

I've done allot of dumb things in my life and selling it was one of them.What more could you ask for. Air, tilt, cruise, power windows & locks etc. Nice new set of duals from TTI, poly body bushings, and removal of the Lean Burn made a fun, fast, driver.Great road tripper. Gave it away for $3800. Sometimes I'm dumber than a box of rocks.Just had to have that 68 Valiant project.
IMG_2152.jpg

I've done allot of dumb things in my life and selling it was one of them.What more could you ask for. Air, tilt, cruise, power windows & locks etc. Nice new set of duals from TTI, poly body bushings, and removal of the Lean Burn made a fun, fast, driver.Great road tripper. Gave it away for $3800. Sometimes I'm dumber than a box of rocks.Just had to have that 68 Valiant project.View attachment 808251

That is a gorgeous 300. My Dad (who bought an '80 Aspen new) wanted one of those but couldn't afford it at the time. I'm sorry you let her go, I hope the '68 Valiant worked out well!

Welcome. Former 79 5th Avenue owner here. 360 Lean Burn.

a 79 300 is a B body

aren't all R body cars 4 doors?

wait, maybe not.

I think I've seen a Gran Fury 2D

I remember the Dodge St Regis. Virginia State Police used them around 1980. I knew a State Trooper. He wasn't real fond of his. It was NOT the same as the old 440 powered Furys he had been driving.

Yeah, The St. Regis is a R. They made many R cop cars out of them.

Auto Transport Service
Back