• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

R/T makes first 1/4 mile pass at the track.

mrtillie

Local time
1:01 PM
Reaction score
Its always been a question i had no answer to until this weekend. Just how fast does my R/T run? This weekend i found out. With my race car down with repairs i made a few changes to the Coronet so it would pass tec at the track. I added a driveshaft lope, changed the fuel lines to braided line, added a overflow bottle to the rad, changed the carb from a 850 speed Demon to a 830 Holly HP race carb, added a lineloc and put some used street slicks on for better traction. I know the 440 dyno # are 440 hp and 520 ftlbs of toque. Now it was time to see what she could pull off for a time. My first pass was just a test run so i left at 1500 rpm in drive and let the 727 shift on its own. 14.44 et @ 97.87 mph. Crap it was like dragging a brick down the track. 2nd pass left at 2000 rpm and manually shifted @ 4000rpm. That was better but just a 13.84 et. Back to the trailer for a few more changes. I checked the timing and added 6 degrees to give it 34 advanced. 13.18 et OHH it liked the timing change so i upped it 2 more degrees and added some c12 to the premium 91 octane fuel in the tank. My next pass was the quickest of the weekend 13.10 et @ 104.11 mph. I was happy with that and over the 2 days of racing we made 15 passes with the R/T. No issues at all, engine ran cool, 60ft times were consistintly in the 1.92 to 1.94 range. 1/8 times were in the 8.44 to 8.80 range. Traction was good with 18lbs of air in the street slicks.
Now its time to go and but the car back to its street version. My cruiser on the street and one of my pride and joys.
Pic of the R/T this spring and one of a burnout at track on the weekend.

Attachments

• 100_1836.jpg
    100_1836.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 423
  • 20110723120043(1).jpg
    20110723120043(1).jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 375
Sounds like you had a good time. Wish you luck on the next one, it is a nice looking ride for sure!

Beautiful car and some good times in the low 13s. Have to ask though why you were running your full advance timing so low to begin with? Never heard of anyone running lower than 34-35 with a HP 440 before but you were in the 28 degree range? Have you tried up in the 36-38 degree range?

Beautiful car and some good times in the low 13s. Have to ask though why you were running your full advance timing so low to begin with? Never heard of anyone running lower than 34-35 with a HP 440 before but you were in the 28 degree range? Have you tried up in the 36-38 degree range?

I too was surprised to find the timing down at 28 degress, my engine builder set the timing and i hadnt checked it in over a year. I know i could have bumped it up 2 more degrees without any problems but it is my street car and i was happy with a low 13 second car. If i would have set the timing at 38 and shifted at 5000 instead of 4800 i may have seen the high 12s. But we will leave as it is for now. :happy3:

:hello2: Right on good for you.Mopars are made to get a good spankin once and awhile.

Nice 68 , sounds like you had some fun with her... Keep up the good work.

Auto Transport Service
Back