• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator Identification to Ease Communication

JonR

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:45 PM
Reaction score
Folks, I have a 1966 Dodge Coronet 440 2-door hardtop with the 225ci Slant Six engine (non A/C, non-Cleaner Air Package, no shroud). Can you please help me identify my radiator and how it is described (e.g., "the 26inch radiator")?

Radiator Number on top tank is 2582937AB

The lower radiator hose connection is on far passenger side aiming about 30-45 degrees toward the outside.
The upper radiator hose connection is just to the passenger side of the cap pointing straight back.

The core part measures about:
19.5 inches wide
20 inches tall
2 inches thick

The top tank is:
20 inches wide
3 inches tall
4 inches thick (front-to-back)

Including the mounting wings on each side:
26 inches wide
24.75 inches separation horizontally between the mounting bolts
14.75 inches separation vertically between the mounting bolts

The total height of the radiator including bottom and top tanks is about 23 inches

Is this called a 26 inch stock radiator? I ask this because I'm going to be needing some work done on it soon. There is a small seep of coolant coming from the top tank to core solder joint just under and just to the passenger side of the upper hose connection. It seeps most just after warm shut off. Other than that the radiator and cooling system work great and the coolant is clean.

Thank you!

By the number that is the original radiator to the car. 22” wide

Yes, my understanding is that it is the original to the car. When the radiator is referred as 22" what is that measurement (width or height)? The total top width not including mounting wings is about 20" and the total height is about 23". Sorry, I'm just not familiar with the terminology.

OK, so it's a 22" radiator. Thank you. I was confused since the total width with mounting wings is 26". I'd really like to find someone who could do the solder fixes as I would like to keep the radiator and it performs very well at this point. It must have been overhauled sometime in the past 57 years.

From the link................

2582937 1966 8 22 225 BOTH HTR

I see the 22 in the DM column. I did forget to mention that my car is Auto Transmission but that doesn't seem to matter with BOTH in that column. The "8" must be a misprint for a "B" I presume. Thank you folks!!

The inch number refers to the core width. My 1966 factory parts book lists it as a 19" radiator for a 66 B body with six cyl. Your core width numbers seem to agree.

Are there repros for this radiator in case I need one later or do I need to keep this one and get it fixed? I'm interested in keeping it stock so not interested in an aluminum replacement.

Are there repros for this radiator in case I need one later or do I need to keep this one and get it fixed? I'm interested in keeping it stock so not interested in an aluminum replacement.
I am in the keep and repair camp. Has been successful for me for 40 years.

Keep your radiator. I doubt they are reproducing a slant 6 radiator. Not many customers.

Yes, I will keep it and get it fixed. Thanks for all the feedback folks.

Auto Transport Service
Back