• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator inlet\outlet locations

Gldwing57

Local time
2:49 PM
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I could use a little help on a radiator.
The further I investigate this the more confused I get. My car was originally a 383 and it has a 22-inch radiator support. I just bought the car not long ago and after some investigation I find that the engine is a 74 440. I am assuming it may have come out of a motorhome originally but has been worked from top to bottom, but nothing outlandish, just cam, heads, etc.
The radiator in it is not for the car, my car is an automatic and whoever put this one in put one in for a manual and just put a trans cooler in front of the radiator, which I think may be a little part of my cooling problem. On this particular model, lower hose is designed for the passenger side and it looks like an original 68 was on the driver's side, from what I can tell. It also has the top hose on the passenger side way over to the left but that piece is not a problem. I can easily get a hose that will fit the radiator.
I said all of that to say this, does the output on the water pump housing vary from motorhomes or year models? While I don't care if the car has a stock radiator, I would like it to fit right and me be able to put a shroud on it before I have to go with electric fans, which I am trying to stay away from. I have found one from Mishimoto that from the pics and dimensions looks like it will work. I am not sure that it will accommodate a factory style fan shroud.
Sorry for such a long post, I was just trying to give all the info I could to help you help me. Have any of you guys ran in to this situation and if so, what did you do.
Thanks, Patrick

Pre 74 big blocks had the water pump outlet on the driver side. When mopar started getting into the smog era in 74, they changed the water pump outlet to the right (passenger) side to help with the smog pump installation. That said, all big blocks (cars, trucks & motor homes) got the passenger side outlet after 1973. It is your choice which one to use as they are easily swapped depending on which radiator you have.
The only improvement I can think of is with the lower hose on the passenger side, changing the oil filter is easier since the lower hose is not an obstacle. If you want the correct 68 look you will need the pre 74 water pump housing and the lower radiator inlet on the driver side. I would start with finding a good (automatic trans) radiator with a shroud and thermo clutch fan and go from there as to which pump housing to use. With a little manipulation on your core support, you could upgrade to a 26" radiator for even better cooling.

If it was ours, I would change the water pump as mentioned, get a 22 inch factory rad with the hose on the passenger top side and try that. If that doesn’t suffice, then 3 core the rad. Have too make sure the bottom tank is thick enough to add the 3rd core. Still not good, add the clutch fan and shroud.
Just the 3 core, mod works us.
Yes we have driven in heat over 100F. Missouri, Oklahoma, and states north and east of them.

Pre 74 big blocks had the water pump outlet on the driver side. When mopar started getting into the smog era in 74, they changed the water pump outlet to the right (passenger) side to help with the smog pump installation. That said, all big blocks (cars, trucks & motor homes) got the passenger side outlet after 1973. It is your choice which one to use as they are easily swapped depending on which radiator you have.
The only improvement I can think of is with the lower hose on the passenger side, changing the oil filter is easier since the lower hose is not an obstacle. If you want the correct 68 look you will need the pre 74 water pump housing and the lower radiator inlet on the driver side. I would start with finding a good (automatic trans) radiator with a shroud and thermo clutch fan and go from there as to which pump housing to use. With a little manipulation on your core support, you could upgrade to a 26" radiator for even better cooling.
Thank you so much..That clears up the mystery...Very much appreciated

1973 was the first year for the passenger side lower outlet, also the power steering pump brackets are different between the two housings.

Mark

Auto Transport Service
Back