• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator swap update

Car #4

Local time
6:19 PM
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I posted about swapping in a new Champion radiator and that the shroud was now set back from the rad and left a one inch gap at the top. I thought would let air into the fan and reduce the air coming through the rad. So I had a guy make a filler piece and today I fit it, painted it and installed it. Here’s the before and after pictures.

E619632E-DE85-420C-9F4B-BE15E5007791.jpeg

A23F6388-3D61-4CDA-8E66-4A8EF4EB51F6.jpeg

92B38B12-86F9-44F1-941E-CFE1F0EE0D26.jpeg

I admire your tenacity and workmanship. But I have to politely ask, why would you use a radiator that doesn't fit correctly ? And, ^^ oldkimmer has a VERY good question. I don't even see the fan in your pic.

When I ordered the rad I missed the point in the description that said the stock shroud was not a direct fit. They do sell a shroud to fit but that's a bunch more money again. I called them and they said the rad is set up to take electric fans. I had to modify the rad a wee bit to make it fit so that pretty much negated sending it back. So, I had to make it all work.
Yes the fan is farther into the shroud than it should ideally be. I'm going to run it and see how it goes. I guess if I have to I'll get their shroud.

Yes there is. Harder to deal with because of rad hose plus transmission lines to work around. I’ll go with this for now and see how it works out. It’s all bolt ons, can always change it if things don’t work out.

Even with a stock shroud and stock radiator there is a gap at the top. Not sure why. I shoved some foam tube in there on mine.

Who did the plastic spacer fab for you? Looks like it fits well.

A friend of mine made it. He has a fabricating shop. It’s actually aluminum.

Auto Transport Service
Back