• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radio time!

Hubbarocks

Local time
2:44 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys. Removed my glovebox. Got motivated to finally do "something " about my radio. Ive owned the car since 1996. I don't know if it ever worked that i recall. I had a cd player in the glove box at one point , but I ditched that years ago and been listing to the exhaust since.

I removed the am radio and speaker. I really don't want to try and rebuild it. I honestly know nothing about raidios. I think I'd like to send it out to get fixed.

What are some places I can reach out to? Suggestions?

I see some post about it , but they are older. I'm guessing there's some decent rebuild places out there ?

Then , what are options foe the dash speaker. Rebuild, can I buy a replacement, aftermarket?

Sorry if I sound like a dummy, radios are not in my wheelhouse at all.

Appreciate the help.
Hubba

joesclassiccarradio.com; He's good, but its not going to be quick.

I replaced the dash speaker in mine with a Cerwin Vega equivalent, bolted right up. Rewired all of it and added some Custom Auto Sound under seat speakers as well.

Here some photos, cuz everyone likes photos. The radio looks ok. The wheel worked recently but noticed once I removed it , now it doesn't want to move. The speaker looks chunky ...

20240226_210819.jpg

20240226_210810.jpg

20240226_210746.jpg

20240226_210733.jpg

Must have an 8 ohm speaker.

I upgraded my audio system, very pleased with the sound. Got retrosound radio easy to install, motorized retracting antenna was abit harder install but i like it. Got also dsp subwoofer (has built in amplifier) and speaker set, 2 bigher at rear shelf 2 satellite speakers mounted under dash and one speaker at original dash position at center. With this setup you can connect to the radio or the subwoofer with bluetooth, prety neat setup with wire harness included with the sub. Added secondary battery for the sound system under rear shelf where subwoofer was installed also. If you can live with the digital head unit i would recommend something like this, with retrosound the font color can be freely chosen

I can assist with your radio resto/upgrade as well as the speaker resto. Send me a PM for more info. Joe

Thanks all. I appreciate the suggestions. The S&M doesn't refurb or grade raidios an longer. They do not stock on the speaker either. Waaa waaaa

I don't really want to go all out with new stuff or amp n subs at all. I just thought it be neat to make it functional again with a new single dash speaker and show off a sweet AM radio! Lol

Any other places that still do refurbishment that some one had g9ne through with good results?

Thanks all. I appreciate the suggestions. The S&M doesn't refurb or grade raidios an longer. They do not stock on the speaker either. Waaa waaaa

I don't really want to go all out with new stuff or amp n subs at all. I just thought it be neat to make it functional again with a new single dash speaker and show off a sweet AM radio! Lol

Any other places that still do refurbishment that some one had g9ne through with good results?
Did you message Joe on the post above your last? #9

If you want to keep the am radio it might be worth to get an am/fm converter, atleast here where im from there is no am stations... Actually bought original am radio and converter for my plymouth but ended up going with the aftermarket anyways since the am radio will not support enough wattage to run speakers and is mono signal.. What you can do aswell is get the subwoofer and just play music/radio thru that with your phone and install original radio for the looks

I used to recommend repairing the original AM radio and using a Redi Rad adapter for connection to your phone. Nowadays with AM radio going away (which is unfortunate) and the fact that the modern conversions work really well I recommend going that route. The conversions are really expensive, but I've looked at a few and really impressed with the workmanship and performance.

Local Chevelle club guys are buying Dual brand Chinesium AM/FM/Bluetooth car radios from Walmart for $49 and cobbling them into the original Delco AM radios. Sort of a kludge, but they seem to work well. I've thought about trying this for the Mopar Motorola radios, but need to find a cheap donor to experiment with as Mopar radios seem to bring $$$$ regardless of condition.

You're radio may work just fine by the looks of that speaker. However, as long as you have it out, I would get bench tested. If it don't work, it probably needs a little work. Not sure where in Wisconsin you are but there is a guy here in Eau Claire that can fix it for ya.
If it were me, I would get it updated to FM since AM stations are few and far between and full of static.

I second the Retro Sound radios. I got the head unit, amp and big speakers to sit in the cargo area behind the rear buckets. Bought it and all the cables etc. from Crutchfield and had good customer service from them. I think they make a direct replacement for the radio you have.

Hey guys. Removed my glovebox. Got motivated to finally do "something " about my radio. Ive owned the car since 1996. I don't know if it ever worked that i recall. I had a cd player in the glove box at one point , but I ditched that years ago and been listing to the exhaust since.

I removed the am radio and speaker. I really don't want to try and rebuild it. I honestly know nothing about raidios. I think I'd like to send it out to get fixed.

What are some places I can reach out to? Suggestions?

I see some post about it , but they are older. I'm guessing there's some decent rebuild places out there ?

Then , what are options foe the dash speaker. Rebuild, can I buy a replacement, aftermarket?

Sorry if I sound like a dummy, radios are not in my wheelhouse at all.

Appreciate the help.
Hubba
I sent mine out to these guys. They did an amazing job!
Originally just an AM radio. Now it's AM/FM/HD Radio/Bluetooth/USB with AUX in/out and Sub out, internal/external mic. I had them add the two status LED's to show Stereo and mode. They cleaned up the case and restored all the knobs/dials etc. It puts out 45w x 4.

412901221_10161027899056826_6652520032356119869_n.jpg

412646723_10161027898601826_3088319792488902414_n.jpg

412677893_10161027897196826_6447881556710500288_n.jpg

412651402_10161027898156826_5040811457830668396_n.jpg

@bospopp what did they charge you for that fancy unit. More then what I would need I think. But curious for research purposes!

I sent mine out to these guys. They did an amazing job!
Originally just an AM radio. Now it's AM/FM/HD Radio/Bluetooth/USB with AUX in/out and Sub out, internal/external mic. I had them add the two status LED's to show Stereo and mode. They cleaned up the case and restored all the knobs/dials etc. It puts out 45w x 4.

[/URL]

View attachment 1620003

View attachment 1620004

View attachment 1620005

View attachment 1620006
Also had mine done by them few years back still not in car was 800$

Auto Transport Service
Back