• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ramp woes

marlabuck

Local time
2:55 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone a good idea how to get traction while driving up on ramps? My problem is that our concrete garage floor is so slick that it is impossible to drive my car up on ramps...I was thinking maybe there is some traction device that others have used to eliminate this problem...very curious about solving this problem...Marla

Has anyone a good idea how to get traction while driving up on ramps? My problem is that our concrete garage floor is so slick that it is impossible to drive my car up on ramps...I was thinking maybe there is some traction device that others have used to eliminate this problem...very curious about solving this problem...Marla

I hate RAMPS.
Back in the 80s w/ my 70 SE/RT Challenger, I would brace the ramps against the garage "cement footer" with 4 X 4s. It worked.
"Super-bee_ski"

Maybe spray a little undercoating out of the can on the floor and let it dry. Give the tires something to stick to.

Get cheap carpet runners( industrial). They are rubber on one side & course carpet on the other.....Home-depot Has them, you can cut them to size.... A Private car collector garage had laminate flooring, work out well for traction...

I usually jack the car up and place the ramps under. My converter is pretty loose and i just dont feel good going up the ramps at 4000 rpm lol.

Lift the car with a floor jack and place the ramps under the tires. :grin:

....frightening how 2 people think EXACTLY alike,,,,,,AINT IT ?:eek:

HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII MARLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:headbang:

After 30 years of walking on concrete, I have carpet and rubber mats all over my shop and the carpet works great for ramps. Also works well for laying on. Old age and cold concrete don't mix lol...and after more than 30 years of using ramps, once they are aligned with the wheels, I back off a couple of feet and get a slight running start. Sounds a bit crazy but I only use enough momentum to get the car up and only barely use the brake to stop it.

ramps

Maybe put some spray on bed liner on them :dontknow:.

this is outside the box, but what i do is drive it outside onto the cement pad and up it goes.

Rubber wheel chalks in front of the ramps work for me.

What i have to do with my wife's intrepid(low to ground) is build a step system with 2x6's so the front end can get past the steep angle of the ramp.All my other vehicles have no problem getting up the ramps.

Lay down big rig rubber mudflaps, set ramp on the flap, up you go. Or as said above anything with a rubber backing.

Ramps...(shudder), why not a jack?

Last time I tried to use ramps, they got slung under the truck and the carnage was horrible.

Auto Transport Service
Back