• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RB 383 1963

On the early 60's Mopars, the numbers for a B series are on the pad below the distributor. The RB series has a pad in front of the intake manifold. My 64 Fury 361 has a V36. I had a 64 Chrysler with a 413RB. It had a V41 on the pad in front of the intake. V is for the 64 model year. So this 63 Dodge should probably have a U36 for a 361 or a U38 for a 383.

I read that the RB383 was from 1959 to 1965 I honestly don't know what is in the car at the moment. I assumed it being a 63 it would be the Rb 383. I hope I'm wrong. Maybe a 361? I'll just have to check out the pad when I go to look at the car.
Like mentioned 59 and 60 for the RB 383

1963 Dodge could have 383 low block 2-barrel. No 361's in Dodge, but they were in Plymouth.

1963 Dodge could have 383 low block 2-barrel. No 361's in Dodge, but they were in Plymouth.
No 361s in Dodge??? Plymouth and Chrysler both had them. And it's known that the last year for 361s, they were available in 66 Chargers.

Last edited:

Sorry, they were in Dodge. As a matter of fact the 361 was created for the 1962 Polara 500 as the standard engine.
The four-barrel 361 only lasted to the end of 1962 and the two-barrel was only used in cars through 1966.

And @BeepBeepRR you never followed up on your thread and let us know what you found out!
Come on man :rolleyes: (we saw you peeking)

Last edited:
The 361 was in medium duty trucks well into the 70’s. I remember seeing quite a few. I’ve never seen a “350” Mopar though...

1958 only, for the low deck 350. Two barrel in the De Soto, four barrel in Dodge and Plymouth.
Wasn’t there also a dual quad version? Golden Commando? I also heard that an electronic Bendix fuel injection was offered but like the ‘81 Imperial was mostly recalled and fitted with a carburetor.

Wasn’t there also a dual quad version? Golden Commando? I also heard that an electronic Bendix fuel injection was offered but like the ‘81 Imperial was mostly recalled and fitted with a carburetor.
Golden commando would be the Plymouth version, but I don't think it was a dual four. The Dodge D500 or 501 might have been (I'm not as UP on the early fin car engines, Gen one hemis or wedges, as I would like).
As I understand it, the bendix efi was available on the low deck wedge in the big Desoto, and Chrysler hemis in 58....... for about twenty minutes before they were all recalled.
Ever see the 300D quarter panel emblem for the EFi? Seen it on the web, never in real life. The 300D's all got dual quads to replace the efi, don't know about the others.

Last edited:
Commando. Like GMC with their Danali's. LMAO

Golden commando would be the Plymouth version, but I don't think it was a dual four. The Dodge D500 or 501 might have been (I'm not as UP on the early fin car engines, Gen one hemis or wedges, as I would like).
As I understand it, the bendix efi was available on the low deck wedge, and the big Desoto and Chrysler hemis in 58....... for about twenty minutes before they were all recalled.
Ever see the 300D quarter panel emblem for the EFi? Seen it on the web, never in real life. The 300D's all got dual quads to replace the efi, don't know about the others.
The 1958 Plymouth Fury... in the movie Christine had a dual quad Golden Commando. I’d have to look up if that was “correct”. :D

Edit... here’s a pic.
2CCDCAD0-FE16-4480-8089-EE2191D99650.jpeg

@33 IMP I would've bet a Dollar Ninety Eight Eleven!

And yes '58 Furys had dual quad 350s. Am I the only one who wonders why Muther Mopar decided on a 5.7 Hemi instead of staying with the 5.9 (350 or 360) I know 347. 5.7 IS A CHEVY MOTOR!

Auto Transport Service
Back