• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Re-flaring brake lines while brake line is installed and connected?

Newkidonthebloc

Local time
1:08 PM
Reaction score
Hey All,

I am currently in the process of replacing the flexible brake hose on my front disc brakes because they were worn bad. While trying to undo the fittings, which were already bad, they got even more messed up. It was a pain to get them off. I now have to put on new fittings, cut and re-flare the existing two front brake lines. There is plenty of line to just reflare them and connect them again.

My problem is: The fitting in the propotioning valve is probably just as stuck as the other ones. Therefore, I dont want to disconnect it. However, If I dont disconnect them, brake fluid will leak continously as I try to reflare the line. Is there any trick to stop the flow of brake fluid without disconnecting the whole line from the proportioning valve? Or if someone has tried to do this before, any tips on going about this?

Best regards,

Thom

Try the wax trick on the fitting. Old machinest trick. IT WORKS GREAT!

I've probably done 20 or more with the fluid leaking.

Auto Transport Service
Back