• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Real 63 max wedge?

Hey Godfather,

That's a beautiful 63', ala black Sport Fury vert. rolling on Cragers.

Here's a shot of my 63' SF showing off a little.

Nick Tiberio
FuryUs63

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 291
Back in early 1968, I test-drove a '65 Cornet 4-spd. with a 426 wedge motor & ended up buying by '68 SuperBee. But, that's another story. Later on when having some head work done; I walked in to his shop and there was a max wedge with no rear view mirror. In it's place was a sticker saying- "do not operate over 20 deg. incline" and something else that I forget. This was in the time of the hemi's, so it was ONLY mildly interesting.LOL.. Those were the days. Gone forever.

Well said...

Not really, tastes are very subjective. Not to mention, the MW cars were the first real muscle cars and they ruled the strip and had the Chevy and Ford boys scrambling to come up with a better mouse trap. The '63 and '64 cars are typically more attractive than the '66-7 hemi-b-bodies (many folks just can't get into the '66-7 cars). The MW cars are valued about the same as those year hemi cars, but the '68-70s tend to be worth considerably more with the better looking body styles (RR, Super Bee, Charger, etc). Of course, convert maxies and aluminum nose cars are worth more than most all '66-71 Hemi B-bodies!

For sure! Way far out of my price range these days. I sold that car in 68. Lost track of it for over 30 years. By pure coincidence, ran in to a a guy that owned it at a car show ( the car wasn't at the show ) in early 2000. It was since sold to another guy that did a professional resto on it around 2005. It won best of show at "Mopars At The Strip" in Vegas in 2008. Again, missed seeing the car by one day. I was at that show on Saturday and the owner showed up with the car on Sunday. Since, I have seen it in several Mopar mags - MCG, Mopar Muscle, Etc. I raced it a bit in 64 /65 when I owned it. It ran a best of 12.41 @ 116 mph. Pretty fast for a rag top back in those days. Still have the time slip.

Hi there Crizila!

I was there in '08 and took hundreds of pics on all 3 days, so I looked thru my Sunday pics and the only convertible 63 MW car I saw, and took a pic of (believe me, if I saw one, I would have taken a pic :icon_wink: ) was this Sport Fury.

You didnt say if it was a Dodge or Plymouth, so I'm guessing here :icon_mrgreen:

This the one?

DSCF1160.jpg

DSCF1168.jpg

DSCF1162.jpg

i love posting photos of my car any chance i get,

this car is an original aluminum nose 1964 "ram charger" the first owner ordered a steel hood so he could hussle people at the street races by making them think it was just grandpa's car. i bought it from the 2nd owner that had is since 1971 and was best friends with the original owner when he bought it new, it's the number 4 oldes in Darrel's book and the first oldest in Galen's Registry. it's all bone stock un painted and unrestored.. from what people in the "know" say you can order the cross ram 426 in any car as an option but the "dodge ram charger" and "plymouth super stock" were stand alone models, the package included 456 sure grip, no under coating, no sound profing. no carpet pading, no warranty and not legal for street use...
I love your car!!
I love posting pics of my as well;)
My 64 Super Stock Dodge Harptop and my 63 Hi Comp Max Wedge (steel nose) 3 speed car....I love Max Wedges & Hemi's ;)
395662299.jpg

395662246.jpg

395662592.jpg

Hi there Crizila!

I was there in '08 and took hundreds of pics on all 3 days, so I looked thru my Sunday pics and the only convertible 63 MW car I saw, and took a pic of (believe me, if I saw one, I would have taken a pic :icon_wink: ) was this Sport Fury.

You didnt say if it was a Dodge or Plymouth, so I'm guessing here :icon_mrgreen:

This the one?

DSCF1160.jpg

DSCF1168.jpg

DSCF1162.jpg
Yep, that's mine. Thanx a lot for posting the pics. Haven't seen those. The car also has been in the October 09 issue of Muscle Car Review, Dec. 07 of Mopar Action, and Nov. 07 of MCG.

Attachments

• 64timeslips.jpg
    64timeslips.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Rarest of the rare early Mopar Muscle

Just a couple of notes: If you include the color, my 63 Max convert was 1 of 1! Excluding the color, 1 of 8! The time slips I posted are all from the same day at the track. I distinctly remember the runs because: We were running 4 abreast that day. I was running a 727 in the car in place of the original 3 speed. There was a weather front moving in and it was hurry-up time to get all the runs in. The 12.41 pass was the last pass in my class. As you can see from the other time slips that pass was about 3 MPH faster than the others. That's because the temp had dropped about 15 degrees. It was actually starting to rain as I crossed the line on that pass. I raced the car with the original 3 speed, a 64 Hemi 4 speed, and a 727 automatic. Car ran around 13.0's with the 3 speed. High 12's with the 4 speed, and mid 12's with the automatic. As was said, traction was an issue back then. I had the fastest rag top around.

John, do you happen to remember any red '63 Savoy T85 cars running at any of the tracks you raced at? My Savoy was purchased new in East St.Louis, IL and was found in Springfield. I'm sure it made the rounds at tracks in the area.

Any other vintage pics of the ragtop? It looks so menacing in that little pic with the chrome wheels and fenderwell headers!

I love your car!!
I love posting pics of my as well;)
My 64 Super Stock Dodge Harptop and my 63 Hi Comp Max Wedge (steel nose) 3 speed car....I love Max Wedges & Hemi's ;)
395662299.jpg

395662246.jpg

395662592.jpg

John,

I never get tired of seeing the pics of your cars! Hope to get out your way with Ed J soon!

BTW- more pics of the maxie car please:headbang:

James

well this old man still has his max-wedge but sure dont look as good as the ones shown here. didnt know it was a true max-wedge until years after we quit the track. a guy came through and saw it out under an oak tree and had to look at it. if i had known it would have taken better care of it.

Last edited:
These are all great cars - love seeing the pics.

John, do you happen to remember any red '63 Savoy T85 cars running at any of the tracks you raced at? My Savoy was purchased new in East St.Louis, IL and was found in Springfield. I'm sure it made the rounds at tracks in the area.
I'm sure it did James, but I don't remember it. We ran at all the tracks down there - Kansas City, E St Louis, Beards town, Alton, Springfield, as they were all in division 5 of the AHRA, but not all that often. We mostly ran at tracks in the Chicago area. I'll look through my stuff though. Sounds like it was a pretty rare car also. Pic is of a very young me at the E St Louis track. We set the F1 B/S automatic 1/8 mile record there.

Nothing like towing with a 1960 Chevy Nomad wagon:laughing4:

Attachments

• dodgeStlouis1.jpg
    dodgeStlouis1.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 202
A little better pic of the Plymouth. We flat towed that car. Had 2 trailer hitch balls mounted under the front bumper - in the pic.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 201
Man, I love your old car in race trim!!! Do you have any under hood shots of it? Did you get the scoop from the dealer?

Auto Transport Service
Back