• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Real 63 max wedge?

real max-wedge

Jughead, do you have any pics to share? It is always neat to see the unrestored cars!
dont have many. havent figured out how to post pics yet but car really is a rust bucket now. max-wedge block was lost many years ago. heads and intake original but engine is 440. still do not know how that block disappeared. car did run 11.50s in 1968 though. finally got it in my avatar

Last edited:
Any other vintage pics of the ragtop? It looks so menacing in that little pic with the chrome wheels and fenderwell headers!
No grill. Candy tangerine wheels. I was a strange kid:werd:. Interesting note: Original air cleaners on my car were orange. Most resto's are done in black.

Attachments

• scan0013.jpg
    scan0013.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 261
Love the old pics - thanks for posting them. What a car!

I have never seen original orange air cleaners before, very different! I have seen a few survivors and they had original black air cleaners. What brand fenderwell headers were those?

dont have many. havent figured out how to post pics yet but car really is a rust bucket now. max-wedge block was lost many years ago. heads and intake original but engine is 440. still do not know how that block disappeared. car did run 11.50s in 1968 though. finally got it in my avatar

Is that a '63 Dodge 440 sedan?

Original Max Wedge Real Deals-

Hey Godfather,

That's a beautiful 63', ala black Sport Fury vert. rolling on Cragers.

Here's a shot of my 63' SF showing off a little.

Nick Tiberio
FuryUs63

Hello Nick-

That's one beautiful black 63 Sport Fury you have there. It's really stunning when these 63's are done up correctly like yours is. Black and Red are my favorite two colors on the 63's. It's my personal preference as there's so much chrome and stainles on a Sport Fury; that Black and Red just show it off so well. I'll attach a few engine shots of mine for you when I first restored it. I think I mentioned earlier I've owned mine since NOV67. Bought it from the original owner who sold to me to buy a new Mustang Mach I. I think I got the better deal over the long term.

Attachments

• 98%Finished 2-3-2009 003.jpg
    98%Finished 2-3-2009 003.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 255
  • Engine Photos 2-11-2009 004.jpg
    Engine Photos 2-11-2009 004.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 254
  • Engine Photos 2-11-2009 018.jpg
    Engine Photos 2-11-2009 018.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 260
  • Engine Photos 2-11-2009 027.jpg
    Engine Photos 2-11-2009 027.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
63 Sport Fury Convertible

That is a sweet car Godfather. If you were 19 in 1967 you don't look 63 yrs old in that picture.
By the way who is Big Willy?

Hey thanks Mike!! I'm actually 62 but who's counting right? Yep........"Big Willie Robinson" was an important ICON in the LA area way back in the 60's/70's and is still looked up to even now. He's friends with the Painter Family who run Mopars at the Strip. He was able to convince the LA street gangs of the time to develop drag racing teams for competition with Turf Wars instead of gun and knife fights with one another in LA Hood. He was mildly successful and has received many awards from LA City fathers. Pretty Cool guy really!!

Max Wedge Air Cleaners

I have never seen original orange air cleaners before, very different! I have seen a few survivors and they had original black air cleaners. What brand fenderwell headers were those?

Max Wedge Cars never came factory with Orange Air Cleaners. They were all Black. Someone must have painted them- :homework:

I would want a max wedge..'er no a hemi...or maybe a max?

who cares, they are both great (FAST) cars.
I just love '63 & '64 's

sonny

Attachments

• 100_3712.jpg
    100_3712.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 257
BTW- What size slicks were running on your black ragtop back in the day? Was it mini-tubbed or just clever backspacing? My SS Savoys outer wheelhouse was sliced and pounded up for slick clearance back in the '60's in it's racing days.

Max Wedge Fun

BTW- What size slicks were running on your black ragtop back in the day? Was it mini-tubbed or just clever backspacing? My SS Savoys outer wheelhouse was sliced and pounded up for slick clearance back in the '60's in it's racing days.

Back when I was drag racing it (1968-1978) I did some really stupid stuff to the car not realizing that I had a very rare Max Wedge Convertible. I did mini-tub it, moved the springs to the frame rails, 7.5" backspacing for the Cragars and then installed Firestone 14X32 Slicks. Everything fit very nicely and none of the slick appeared outside the fenderwell. I never messed with the rear quarters themselves. 30 Years later when I decided to restore it to factory correct specs; I had to reverse everything I did to it when i was a young guy. Wish I had been smarter when I was younger but who knew? To me it was just a Drag Racing muscle car that gave me tons of fun in a convertible. Did I tell you that this car was my first car? Bought it in Paterson, N.J. Neither me nor my Dad had a clue as what I was buying when I bought it. It was a Black Convertible w/Red Interior.... aka "Chick Magnet".. I still remember him looking at the engine and saying to me "looks like it will use alot of gas" when gas was only 25 cents/gal. Very different times back then!!

Last edited:
Back when I was drag racing it (1968-1978) I did some really stupid stuff to the car not realizing that I had a very rare Max Wedge Convertible. I did mini-tub it, moved the springs to the frame rails, 7.5" backspacing for the Cragars and then installed Firestone 14X32 Slicks. Everything fit very nicely and none of the slick appeared outside the fenderwell. I never messed with the rear quarters themselves. 30 Years later when I decided to restore it to factory correct specs; I had to reverse everything I did to it when i was a young guy. Wish I had been smarter when I was younger but who knew? To me it was just a Drag Racing muscle car that gave me tons of fun in a convertible. Did I tell you that this car was my first car? Bought it in Paterson, N.J. Neither me nor my Dad had a clue as what I was buying when I bought it. It was a Black Convertible w/Red Interior.... aka "Chick Magnet".. I still remember him looking at the engine and saying to me "looks like it will use alot of gas" when gas was only 25 cents/gal. Very different times back then!!

I know what you mean about doing "stupid" things when you were young, but hey, you weren't very dumb at all, you kept the car,most of us sold all our early cars.

Max Wedge Cars never came factory with Orange Air Cleaners. They were all Black. Someone must have painted them- :homework:
Think you are mistaken, as I drove it off the showroom floor that way. Factory decals and no black underneath the orange ( same orange as engine ). I guess that "someone" worked at the factory. Also, my car never came with bumperettes, as the resto shows. Always some quirks along the way. There was no automation on the assembly line back then, so using the word "never" doesn't apply very well. :icon_ncool: "Atlas Bucrons" were the tire of choice for street and strip back in the day. Even had white walls.:icon_eyes:

Attachments

• scan0012.jpg
    scan0012.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 231
Headers were made by a muffler shop in Skokie, Ill called "Robinhood". There were very few header manufacturers back in 63. Most were one-off's made by muffler shops. Took the grill out for a short while just to see how it would look. Kinda pissed off my old man, so it went back on pretty quick.

Headers were made by a muffler shop in Skokie, Ill called "Robinhood". There were very few header manufacturers back in 63. Most were one-off's made by muffler shops. Took the grill out for a short while just to see how it would look. Kinda pissed off my old man, so it went back on pretty quick.

This is very true.

I knew a guy that bought a 63 Max Wedge auto trans car new in southern Cal. It was white on the show room floor but before it left the dealer it was black per the deal the buyer made.

He took it down the street to the muffler shop that was known for making headers and asked to buy a set. The owner told him he had not yet built a set for the engine car combo and had no jig. He said if he build a set with long pipes on it and the seller would race it at the stripe, let the auto trans do the shifting automatically, run several runs cutting off a few inches with each run until the times did not improve he would give him the headers for free.

It was Doug Thorley's muffler shop which later became Doug's Headers one of the most famous names in headers.

Never say Never!!

Think you are mistaken, as I drove it off the showroom floor that way. Factory decals and no black underneath the orange ( same orange as engine ). I guess that "someone" worked at the factory. Also, my car never came with bumperettes, as the resto shows. Always some quirks along the way. There was no automation on the assembly line back then, so using the word "never" doesn't apply very well. :icon_ncool: "Atlas Bucrons" were the tire of choice for street and strip back in the day. Even had white walls.:icon_eyes:

Well guess I should never say never however, in verifying this with some of my most Knowledgeable Max Wedge authorities who judge these magnificent cars at shows... ie Greg Lane/Daryl Davis/Scott Smith...none of them have ever seen nor heard of this before. You perhaps have the only one ever painted that way. I don't doubt your honesty in receiving it from the dealer this way but, it may have been someone somewhere having some fun along the way.

Doug's Headers

This is very true.

I knew a guy that bought a 63 Max Wedge auto trans car new in southern Cal. It was white on the show room floor but before it left the dealer it was black per the deal the buyer made.

He took it down the street to the muffler shop that was known for making headers and asked to buy a set. The owner told him he had not yet built a set for the engine car combo and had no jig. He said if he build a set with long pipes on it and the seller would race it at the stripe, let the auto trans do the shifting automatically, run several runs cutting off a few inches with each run until the times did not improve he would give him the headers for free.

It was Doug Thorley's muffler shop which later became Doug's Headers one of the most famous names in headers.

That's a totally cool story about Doug Thorley Headers. Certainly a name brand today. I'd love to hear what the Hooker Header story is.......LMAO!!:icon_eyes:

max wedge

Is that a '63 Dodge 440 sedan?
63 ply. and it did come with orange or gold air cleaners they were similar in color to the golden commando of 1960 and were not repainted. i dont think i have those either.

Auto Transport Service
Back