• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Real Max Wedge today at a show:

Maybe some of us tell it like it is. In the past I've been asked to give my opinion on whether or not a car was a real deal MW car. I kept those people from buying a clone that was being pushed as the real thing. I'm sure a few on here are experts, I don't claim to be, but I did buy a MW back in 71 and I'm willing to educate people about them and tell them what I know and have learned in the last 43 years.
There are people like you who will trample on our right to free speech, if you don't like what some of us say, don't read it. If you're that big of a 'cry-baby' go to another blog. Just make sure you're perfect when you reply with your expertise!

I don't think people should mis-represent their cars in order to win trophy's or to appear important. And I don't think it is right to pick apart the real deal. However, this car is not even a good clone. That is just inviting critisism..........................MO

Haha, think those are big, this was also at the show. The Ron Jeremy of intakes! LOL

View attachment 194727

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 194728[/ATTACH]

I've actually have seen the long-leg "spider" cross-Ram before on a 1933 Plymouth 3 window coupe and I have seen it under the hood of an early 60's Chrysler 300....They're HUGE on the '30's coupes but the same intake on a early 60's didn't seem as tho it was "that" big. that high RPM cross-Ram seems to be massive tho, on ANY big Block Mopar, I've seen 2 of them, not the same size, but Eddy made ones for Small Block Mopar which for a small block, were still pretty massive compared to other "Cross Rams" by bran X companies....even After market Eddy's for Brand X seem smaller.

Altho, I know they never used them, BUT I'd love to see a 426 Hemi with that intake!!!
attachment.jpg

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 61
the only reason I said anything is that the guy at the show said it was a real max wedge car, I have a clone and I tell everyone it is. here's a picture , pick it apart if you want. DSC00007.jpg

Nice job, lets see the rest of your car.

I'm thinking this might be it? Havent seen it in years but It was a great looking car if it is.....
63 shokopee.jpg

I love hanging out with car guys. That's why I go to cruise nights and the drag strip. I watched a guy try to pick apart my dad's concourse restored 64 Dodge Polara 500 at a show. Telling him they didn't come with floor shift, they were all push button. The 500 actually DID have a floor shift with the auto...AND the 4 speed that my dads car was. I asked the guy how many push button auto cars had clutch pedals? Then I asked him how many mid 60's B bodies he owned (none was the answer).

This is why I don't go to car shows. The cars are great (resto, mod, original, or clone)! The people make me angry.

Maybe some of us tell it like it is. In the past I've been asked to give my opinion on whether or not a car was a real deal MW car. I kept those people from buying a clone that was being pushed as the real thing. I'm sure a few on here are experts, I don't claim to be, but I did buy a MW back in 71 and I'm willing to educate people about them and tell them what I know and have learned in the last 43 years.
There are people like you who will trample on our right to free speech, if you don't like what some of us say, don't read it. If you're that big of a 'cry-baby' go to another blog. Just make sure you're perfect when you reply with your expertise!

I don't know who you were directing that last paragraph to but something you said got my attention. You said "YOU WERE ASKED" your opinion. I, for one, have no problem with you offering your opinion if asked. Do you regularly walk by a car at a show and seek out the owner to offer unsolicited opinions of their car? I didn't think so... but there are those that do. Just for the sake of argument, I didn't see a sign on that car that stated it was an original max wedge car. If there was a sign, then it invites people to query the owner.

I do an occasional show and like to talk cars with young guys who have never seen a motor with dual carburetors and the old guys (I fit into that category) who remember these cars when they were in high school and longed to have one.
My car is a hot rod and there's nothing 'correct' about it, yet now and then I run into somebody who feels the need to point out everything that isn't 'original' to my 63 Fury. The best one was a fellow who informed me that American Torq-thrust wheels never came on my car from the factory on the rear axle, only on the front! The rear had steel wheels...I do try to be courteous, but I had to take a sudden bathroom break to get away....lol. On the other hand, I had one gentleman who looked my car over very carefully and complimented me. Then he scratched his head and said "I see you have a 4 speed. Didn't the 63 only come with a 3 speed?" He was right, of course, and I complimented him on his good memory. It's all good...
Not widely known, but there were some Borg Warner 4 speeds in factory 1963 Plymouth B body...........................MO

- - - Updated - - -

I love hanging out with car guys. That's why I go to cruise nights and the drag strip. I watched a guy try to pick apart my dad's concourse restored 64 Dodge Polara 500 at a show. Telling him they didn't come with floor shift, they were all push button. The 500 actually DID have a floor shift with the auto...AND the 4 speed that my dads car was. I asked the guy how many push button auto cars had clutch pedals? Then I asked him how many mid 60's B bodies he owned (none was the answer).

This is why I don't go to car shows. The cars are great (resto, mod, original, or clone)! The people make me angry.
Don't get angry, just enjoy humiliating a know-it-all 8-) ......................MO

"Not widely known, but there were some Borg Warner 4 speeds in factory 1963 Plymouth B body...........................MO"

MO: Any idea where this info came from? I'd be interested in checking it out further. Thanks.

Chrysler didn't have they're own 4spd available till 64 , if you ordered a 4spd in 63 you got the borg Warner, that's why 62-63 max wedge cars came with either a t85 3spd manual (truck trans)or auto, they didn't have a 4spd strong enough.

My Dad's early production 64 Polara 500 383 4 speed convert had an iron case BW T-10 from the factory. It was a bitch finding internal parts for as it shared some stuff with early 60's Corvettes, but not all of the internals. They did what they could when they rebuilt it but couldn't find some rare part (can't remember what it was) so under full throttle the trans would pop out of second gear.

Chrysler didn't have they're own 4spd available till 64 , if you ordered a 4spd in 63 you got the borg Warner, that's why 62-63 max wedge cars came with either a t85 3spd manual (truck trans)or auto, they didn't have a 4spd strong enough.

I knew this. I misread MO's post. I thought he meant that there were some max wedge cars that got the BW 4 speed. I'd never heard that before. Thanks for the responses, guys.

Silversedan, thank you for posting pics of your 63,that's a nice looking ride.

Coloradodave, if you want to argue, then the next time your in Ohio, look me up,I'm not that fond of typing to waste my time doing it here. 'nuf said.

Auto Transport Service
Back