• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Really???

Well that's not good, who is your first choice now? There is nothing else out there but really crappy Asian metal? (Besides used, donor, NOS I mean).

the old fashion way
donor or nos
i've parted about a half dozen rotters just for donor metal
i even bought some handmade parts from a member here
that blow the same AMD garbage part away!
i will still use AMD,but its down to when i have no other choice.
i have also bought Goodmark parts when the AMD is junk and try that.
heck i can splice in almost anything but the reason why i bought the AMD
in the first place is because i didn't want to splice something.
so to splice it pisses me off to no end as it defeats the purpose..

so to splice it pisses me off to no end as it defeats the purpose..

I hear ya and totally agree.

It does suck when repo parts are just nowhere near the original, it's like why do these companies even bother if they are going to half-*** it? I suppose they bother because there is a market for it. Maybe some of us are more picky than others...

I hear ya and totally agree.

It does suck when repo parts are just nowhere near the original, it's like why do these companies even bother if they are going to half-*** it? I suppose they bother because there is a market for it. Maybe some of us are more picky than others...

my main issue with them is the top dollar they ask for it
doesn't match up with the quality you should be getting for that price.
that and the way they advertise stuff.
just be honest and don't act like it will fall out of the box and fit perfectly
when they are asked about it
i'm not afraid to spend as i have bought 2 or 3 different versions of the same part
trying to get a better fit.
they half *** it because people still buy it as they have the market cornered.
they just can't fool all the people like me.
the thing is
i do this for myself so i can take all the time i need.
if someone was on the clock you
know that some halfassing will be occuring..

Wow, the guy with the GG1 R/T has already been a pain in the dick to deal with and he has not even let me look at the car yet. In fact in his latest email he basically told me to not bother because I probably don't have the money and I am a tire kicker... So far all I have asked for is to come see it.

He also said he's not coming off $16k at all, it's a take it or leave it price, yet he has obo in his CL ad...

You know, I hate to say it, but Mopar guys are sometimes the biggest a-holes, no offense to anyone here.

Wow, the guy with the GG1 R/T has already been a pain in the dick to deal with and he has not even let me look at the car yet. In fact in his latest email he basically told me to not bother because I probably don't have the money and I am a tire kicker... So far all I have asked for is to come see it.

He also said he's not coming off $16k at all, it's a take it or leave it price, yet he has obo in his CL ad...

You know, I hate to say it, but Mopar guys are sometimes the biggest a-holes, no offense to anyone here.

have you tried this guy, yet?

very nice and super knowledgeable guy.

have you tried this guy, yet?

very nice and super knowledgeable guy.

Yeah, I looked that one over, but tbh I want to restore the car myself, not deal with someone else's half finished project, not to say his work isn't good, but my preference is an original car or a very old restoration. I'd rather pay $15k for an untouched rotted mess vs. $25k for someone else's work to find out I need to redo all their work...

Yeah, I looked that one over, but tbh I want to restore the car myself, not deal with someone else's half finished project, not to say his work isn't good, but my preference is an original car or a very old restoration. I'd rather pay $15k for an untouched rotted mess vs. $25k for someone else's work to find out I need to redo all their work...

I can appreciate that.

I will say though, Gary does top-notch work. Over the past couple of years I have seen his work on C-bodies, and the guy is talented and really freakin good. Just my honest opinion. If I didnt have 3 Mopars already I would have snatched this one up in heartbeat.

Where would I find the VIN stamping on the 4 speed?

01616_im7caHrFnb5_1200x900.jpg

I assume it's just a partial VIN? Sequence number?

And excuse my ignorance, but what are these 4 speeds called?

On the right side toward the front about halfway up is a machined pad

A833. If it is behind a 440 or hemi it should have 18 splines on the input shaft. 383 and smaller engines will have a 23 spline input shaft.

Thanks

Have not been able to look at the car yet, this is the last message I got from the seller:

"My BS meter runs high and pretty accurate with the responses I've gotten on this car-which has been a lot. Everything is subjective in relation to the value of this car. Problem is I own it. You would rather look at it vs get pics of the car sent to you. Problem with that is, it involves more time for me vs sending more pics of the problem areas on the car (which I already have), which is the whole car practically as seen in the pics on CL. If you are not at least prepared to buy this car for 16k-(done ones are in the 60 range), put 10k in sheet metal on this car, that's the cost of the metal and not the labor, then this car is likely not for you, plain and simple. Frame rails are a huge issue with this car in the back as is the case for most project 68-70 chargers, there basically are none, which means no trunk too. The fronts are pretty nice except where you get into the cross member area. If this car was solid, which its not even close, we would be talking in the 30 range-easy. I'm purposely trying to scare you, as this type of resto is not for everyone-very few actually. The one good part of this is you know what you have after you do it because you will address every area of the car before you are done. Buying a done car has its + and - attributes, I focus on the negative as you never really know what has been done when someone else does it, even with documenting with pics along the way. Automatic 68's are dime a dozen. This car is close to you, but its rough, but also no shipping or driving charges per se. I hope this sounds "crazy" enough for you to not want it anymore as I'm not moving off 16k as I subjectively feel its worth that, and I own it, and I really don't care to see it go or need it to be gone. Go find another.... locally....even nationally...These 68-70 R/T's are hotter than cuda and challengers for once, especially the 4spd cars. Your're not the only one that wants to "look" at it and if I multiplied 1hr x approx # of prospects, thats a lot of BS time. An Ebay ad is more expensive but its somewhat of a binding contract and a general BS detector. I'm not looking to take anyone, I would have extensive photo gallery and let it fly. At the end, hopefully I would find a serious buyer with the $ to purchase it and the $ to fix it and a trailer to come pick it up and not BS around condition after the sale-that would all be done beforehand. "

For some reason it seems like he is doing his best to tell me I am not welcome to come look at the car...

If you are not at least prepared to buy this car for 16k-(done ones are in the 60 range), put 10k in sheet metal on this car, that's the cost of the metal and not the labor, then this car is likely not for you, plain and simple. Frame rails are a huge issue with this car in the back as is the case for most project 68-70 chargers, there basically are none, which means no trunk too. The fronts are pretty nice except where you get into the cross member area. If this car was solid, which its not even close, we would be talking in the 30 range-easy. I'm purposely trying to scare you, as this type of resto is not for everyone-very few actually.

seems pretty straight forward to me.......... you're still interested after reading this?

I might look for a different car. If you made it clear you are serious and not a tire kicking picture collector.Jmho

After just selling a car i can tell you that there are a lot of annoying f...ers out there.

Last edited:
If you are not at least prepared to buy this car for 16k-(done ones are in the 60 range), put 10k in sheet metal on this car, that's the cost of the metal and not the labor, then this car is likely not for you, plain and simple. Frame rails are a huge issue with this car in the back as is the case for most project 68-70 chargers, there basically are none, which means no trunk too. The fronts are pretty nice except where you get into the cross member area. If this car was solid, which its not even close, we would be talking in the 30 range-easy. I'm purposely trying to scare you, as this type of resto is not for everyone-very few actually.

seems pretty straight forward to me.......... you're still interested after reading this?

I need to see it in person... Yes, I'm still interested. Just never had this much trouble going to look at a car. This emailing has been going back and forth for over a week now. I dunno, don't get it...

I mean, I know what it will take to restore this thing, probably at least $50k, I get it. I've spent over $30k on my Chevelle restoration, and I know Mopar's are just a lot more expensive.

But this is the first time in 25+ years of looking at cars I've ever run into a seller like this...

I need to see it in person... Yes, I'm still interested. Just never had this much trouble going to look at a car. This emailing has been going back and forth for over a week now. I dunno, don't get it...

tell him the money is burning a hole in your pocket and he has a week to arrange something

Tell him you want to come with a trsiler and cash but need to see it in person before you pull the trigger. He is not really out of line on his price in todays market for a 68 Charger R/T. Not the most desired color combo and not optioned to the gills but 4spd Dana car makes up for it. If it was an automatic he would be 2k on the high side.
I had 4 guys tell me they wanted to come look at mine that never got back to me with a time they wanted to come look. 1 guy told me i was 10k to high on my piece of **** (pretty sure he will never have a Charger). A couple guys didn't get back to me til 2 weeks after the car was sold. Sent pics to about 50 people without another reply. You may need to get more aggressive with him so he knows your not one of the dead beats.

Tell him you want to come with a trsiler and cash but need to see it in person before you pull the trigger. He is not really out of line on his price in todays market for a 68 Charger R/T. Not the most desired color combo and not optioned to the gills but 4spd Dana car makes up for it. If it was an automatic he would be 2k on the high side.
I had 4 guys tell me they wanted to come look at mine that never got back to me with a time they wanted to come look. 1 guy told me i was 10k to high on my piece of **** (pretty sure he will never have a Charger). A couple guys didn't get back to me til 2 weeks after the car was sold. Sent pics to about 50 people without another reply. You may need to get more aggressive with him so he knows your not one of the dead beats.

Heh, I guess yeah, there is probably a lot of annoying tire kickers.

It appears the seller has cut off all communication with me.

I've never run into this before in all my 25+ years of going to look at cars. It seems like he's saying his pictures alone should give me all the info I need, and that looking at the car in person is a big waste of his time. His ad doesn't have any pictures of the fender tag, VIN plate, the pad and or casting # on the warranty block, the stamp on the trans, the DANA 60, yadda.

I'm not sure what I said to piss him off, other than I suggested if he is only accepting $16k and nothing lower, then to remove the "obo" from his ad.

I work 12 minutes from where the car is located and yet it would be a huge waste of time... I told him it would only take me 30 minutes to look over the car. Wow, not sure what I did wrong on this one...

Auto Transport Service
Back