• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear axle leak

Huicho417

Local time
6:58 AM
Reaction score
While I was under the car working on the fuel return line I noticed the the inside of the rear wheels were real dirty. When I cleaned them I could tell I had fluid leaking from the axle seals. I recently installed the new green bearings and made sure to also install the inner seal properly. What could cause them to leak?

More than likely you are going to have to pull it back apart to determine a cause. My only guess would be that the seals could have gotten cut or nicked reinstalling the axles. Possibly defective seals?

Doing some research on you tube I found several other people with the same issue. Two of them mentioned a vent on the housing that allows pressure to escape. When I took my rear assembly apart I did see the the vent that holds the y block. It was not in very good shape and when I put it back I crimped it because it kept falling off. I just ordered one to see it that may solve it.

Doing some research on you tube I found several other people with the same issue. Two of them mentioned a vent on the housing that allows pressure to escape. When I took my rear assembly apart I did see the the vent that holds the y block. It was not in very good shape and when I put it back I crimped it because it kept falling off. I just ordered one to see it that may solve it.
I wish you luck on that. If it's built up enough pressure to push gear lub past the seals, just relieving the pressure may not heal the seals. Keep us informed on your progress.

You could always put the better, original bearings back in. Unless you have done a rear disc conversion that requires them.

If drum brakes, check the rear wheel cylinders.A small amount of brake fluid collects allot of dirt.
Had a guy with a Dart come to me saying he replaced the seals twice and they still leak.
Not the seals, leak came from wheel cylinders.
Just a thought.

Yes I went with green bearings because I converted to disc brakes. I will add the new vent screw and keep you posted on the results. If it did damage the seal, would it be the one that gets installed first before the bearing only? Would the greens bearing be damaged as well?

Replace the vent. Seems to me an inoperative vent could blow a little lube past the seal. Doesn't take much leakage to make a mess. See if the new vwent does job.

Auto Transport Service
Back