• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear body brake line to rubber Y block line 8 1/4

dasol7172

Local time
6:23 PM
Reaction score
Morning all. So I am putting a super rusty 72 sat back together and I managed to break the fitting on that rear brake body line right at the part that connects to the rubber hose Y block that sits in that bracket.

Whats the lowest cost solution for me on this? Can I just double flare the new shorter body line and put another 1/4 brake fitting on it or do i have to replace the entire body line? I have been looking through amazon, jegs and summit to find brake fittings but they all have a much shorter nut on them than the one that came off the line.. does it matter? can I use any fitting as long as its the proper size and the line is double flared correctly?

Thanks

I bought a couple spools of nickel copper alloy tubing off amazon, its strong and DOT approved. Also can bend by hand. It made fabricating new brake lines a breeze

I used Finelines, no problems. I bet Dr Diff gets his from them.
20170810_155341.jpg

So there is no way to just find a new fitting and use the current brake lines? Not looking to replace the current lines or spend much more money on it.

So there is no way to just find a new fitting and use the current brake lines? Not looking to replace the current lines or spend much more money on it.
I think You need to post a picture of the damage for someone to determine what needs to be done.

Here we are. First is the end that broke that connects to the rubber Y block hose and the second is the fitting itself.

IMG_20170821_130830 (Large).jpg
IMG_20170821_130845 (Large).jpg

If the original line is in good enough shape to flare, is long enough to reach, and if you can successfully remove the armor all you need is a tubing nut-from any auto parts store.
Mike

Ok great. i wanted to try that first before spending 40 dollars and hours messing with rusted clips to replace the whole line. Just wasn't sure if the brake fittings I see work since the nut part is much shorter than the original.

You'll need to find a good place on your line to cut, double flare and attach a new piece to it. Right there where it broke looks very rusted and thin.

Auto Transport Service
Back