• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear brakes getting hot, front cold.

You did make sure e-brake cables aren’t hanging up,I think.

There’s only a couple more possibilities. Out of round drums, different friction coefficient on the shoes themselves?( I don’t really believe in QC anymore)
I know. The shoes are fitting the drums well since they are half worn now...LOL. I worked on this thing all day today. I believe the passenger side wheel bearing was spinning in the axel housing. I put hi tack copper on the bearing cup and in the axel tube. Adjusted the endplay as the FSM advised. It is a little cooler but not much. I then put an adjustable proportion valve in the rear brake line. Now I an getting a little heat at the front brakes. That passenger rear is still hot. I am thinking that the bearing is cooked.

Ok all, I found my problem. I would blame it on China Shoes and Drums. The shoes were not fitting the drums 100%. But first off, I made sure my axle end play was .008-.018". It was .065 which was allowing the drums to push upward on the shoes. I got it to .011". Once this was corrected, my brake temperature dropped somewhat. So I decided to take it a step farther. I loosened the brake backing plate and put a jack under it to hold it in the most upward position and retightened the nuts. This really made the temperature drop. It was still a little warmer than the front brakes. So next I took my little hand grinder and took just a little bit off of the very bottom of the brake shoes. Maybe .020". This made it perfect. Now the rear brakes are about 10 degrees cooler than the front. Perfect!!!

Good to hear, Jack - thanks for the update!

Ok all, I found my problem. I would blame it on China Shoes and Drums. The shoes were not fitting the drums 100%. But first off, I made sure my axle end play was .008-.018". It was .065 which was allowing the drums to push upward on the shoes. I got it to .011". Once this was corrected, my brake temperature dropped somewhat. So I decided to take it a step farther. I loosened the brake backing plate and put a jack under it to hold it in the most upward position and retightened the nuts. This really made the temperature drop. It was still a little warmer than the front brakes. So next I took my little hand grinder and took just a little bit off of the very bottom of the brake shoes. Maybe .020". This made it perfect. Now the rear brakes are about 10 degrees cooler than the front. Perfect!!!
One of the rear brakes on my Road Runner is getting hot even though I have backed off the adjuster way more than the other side. Wondering if I don't have the same thing going on as you did. Did you happen to take any pics of your mod?

Auto Transport Service
Back