• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear End Question

Coyote with a roadrunner

Local time
3:15 PM
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of carrier is in my rear end. Found numbers and letters. It is a 489, but here is what I found:

There is a D and a big P, then next row down there is a C and the tail of the P, and then a D, kind of resembles a square when they are together. Wondering if it is a borg warner, or a Dyna carrier. Are there rebuild kits available? Thanks for the help!

The 489 is a Chrysler carrier the 489 was the largest of the pinion shafts and generally considered the strongest of the 8 3/4 rear ends.

Is yours a posi and if so clutch type or wave springs? you have to pull the brake drums, unbolt the axles and pull them, then after you unbolt the center section it pulls out.

Most folks rebuild the axles with a green bearing and seal kit.

Unless the gears are worn, pitted noisy etc it is best left as is.

If you do a complete rebuild a new crush sleave, spider gear kit and if posi a rebuild kit if it is clutch type.

When you put back in standard diff gear oil, if posi make sure to add in the posi additive too.

DPCD stands for Dodge Chrysler Plymouth Desoto, I'm surprised that is on your center section cause most of that was phased out in the mid 60's.

I am going to show you what a rookie I am here. We have not opened the pumpkin yet, but when my son and I had it up in the air last night and I turned one wheel, the other turned in the same direction. I thought that was how to tell if it is a posi? Is there a way to tell without opening it up? Thanks again guys I really appreciate the help.

MOST of the time a one legger will have the opposite wheel turn in the opposite direction. Since you've already done the "turn test", try it again holding one wheel still and see what you get.

If one does and one doesn't, then either it's a one legger, or your suregrip is totally shot

Auto Transport Service
Back