• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear End Set Ups - 69 Coronet Restomod - 500HP

For my Duster I went with a 9 inch assembly from Strange since I needed 3.90 gears. I also wanted to save a little bit of weight and I like being able to pull the gears without having to pull the whole housing out of the car.
DSC_4428 (Large).JPG

For my Duster I went with a 9 inch assembly from Strange since I needed 3.90 gears. I also wanted to save a little bit of weight and I like being able to pull the gears without having to pull the whole housing out of the car.
View attachment 1044957
I have rebuilt plenty of salisbury axles with out removing them from the vehicle. why would you?
Mike

An 8 3/4 could’ve been had with 3:91’s, but you got a 9 inch.

For a resto mod with a Gen 3 in it I assume you're going four wheel disc brakes? With a six speed you probably want some deeper gears out back, maybe a 4.10? Have you figured out the gear splits yet? The S60 is available with a 4.10 but not a 3.90. If you have the Torino ends installed on the S60 then you'll have a larger selection of brakes. I went with a S60 with S Trac and 3.23 gears for my Coronet but fifth gear in my Coronet is 1:1 so I needed the higher ratio.
View attachment 1044956

Four wheel disc, correct. I haven't figured out anything with gearing yet because I don't know what wheels/tires I will be running. Apparently figuring that our first is the way to go. I am starting from scratch. The car doesn't have anything in it that I am going to use.

Four wheel disc, correct. I haven't figured out anything with gearing yet because I don't know what wheels/tires I will be running. Apparently figuring that our first is the way to go. I am starting from scratch. The car doesn't have anything in it that I am going to use.
Okay then you need to figure out some stuff before you can make a good decision on the rear end. As I said before, either a S60 or Ford 9 inch will work for you but the 9 inch has more options and is more flexible. They also tend to be a bit more expensive but they are a little smaller, a little lighter and a little easier to work on. Most pro shops go with a 9 inch when building custom cars but some Mopar guys prefer to stick with a Dana since it looks more correct.

How high would the stall be in a streetable converter, 3500 tops? What RPM might you dump the clutch in a stick car ... 5 - 6K maybe?! that's why you want the Dana. And its a B-body, not a lightweight a-body.

Anyhow, this has turned into the usual pissing match with the end result leaving you as confused as when you posted the question.
We had a 4500 Stall, anything above 3500 It would lift the front wheels ( NOT high, but enough to see daylight under both tires) Best 60Ft. 1.58sec. However trap times went down if wheels came up. So at the track we did better in the quarter at 2700 -3,000. We also had 4" drive shaft, 1350 joints etc. Suspension is just S/S springs and a threaded pinion snubber. Work OK for us. Now to have more fun it will be 90% street - occasional strip. It last weighed in at 3550, Wet fuel cell full (16 gallons) that was with heavy bumpers and o.e. brackets. New bumpers are 3 lbs. each, home modified brackets. Guess would be 3500. Will weigh it again this spring. (used CAT scale 52% frt 48 Rear)

Auto Transport Service
Back