• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear end swap

Marks69Bee

Local time
11:38 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1969 Dodge Coronet 440 with an 8 1/4 rear end. I want to replace it with an 8 3/4 rear end, so that I can have the center section. Can anyone advise what year rear end will bolt right in that will have the correct spring perch location. Are the 8 3/4 housings longer or close to the same length as the 8 1/4. Just thinking about the wheel and tires. Will it push the wheel location out, bring them in closer to the center? Not sure if the difference in the axles does anything to the location of the wheels or not? Anyone have any experience on upgrading a 69 B-Body rear end from an 8 1/4 to 8 3/4 and can give me any info on what to look for or what I need. Appreciate any response.

If you change rear ends you will have to replace drive shaft . 68-70 will bolt right in maybe other years but I dont know.

I can bring it to Carlisle..... and I'm easy to find :rolleyes:

I have a 1969 Dodge Coronet 440 with an 8 1/4 rear end. I want to replace it with an 8 3/4 rear end, so that I can have the center section. Can anyone advise what year rear end will bolt right in that will have the correct spring perch location. Are the 8 3/4 housings longer or close to the same length as the 8 1/4. Just thinking about the wheel and tires. Will it push the wheel location out, bring them in closer to the center? Not sure if the difference in the axles does anything to the location of the wheels or not? Anyone have any experience on upgrading a 69 B-Body rear end from an 8 1/4 to 8 3/4 and can give me any info on what to look for or what I need. Appreciate any response.
According to the old Direct Connection Racing Manual (THE MOPAR BIBLE) all 1962 thru 1970 B Body Rear Axles have the same Track (59.2") and Spring Pad Width (44.0"). Meaning any 8 3/4 from a B body 1962 thru 1970 will bolt in. But drive shaft length probably will need to adjusted depending on which transmission you have (904,727, or 833) and the 8 3/4 is .66 inches longer from center of axle shaft to center of yoke.

hope this helps.

The 1968-70 B body cars will have the exact axle that you need. It will bolt in using the same brackets and U bolts. Oddly, the drive shaft for the 8 1/4" and the 8 3/4" are slightly different. In my experience, the yoke on the 8 1/4" sits 3/4" further forward than the 8 3/4" unit. Sometimes the drive shaft can take up the slack and still fit.

A 1966-67 B body axle fits too but is slightly narrower. The brakes can change over from an 8 1/4" axle to the 8 3/4" unit.

According to the old Direct Connection Racing Manual (THE MOPAR BIBLE) all 1962 thru 1970 B Body Rear Axles have the same Track (59.2") and Spring Pad Width (44.0"). Meaning any 8 3/4 from a B body 1962 thru 1970 will bolt in. But drive shaft length probably will need to adjusted depending on which transmission you have (904,727, or 833) and the 8 3/4 is .66 inches longer from center of axle shaft to center of yoke.

hope this helps.
Thanks very much. That helps alot. You wouldn't believe how many different things I,ve been told. I didn't know what to believe. Just people wanting to sell their stuff I think.

I think kern is right on the 67-down axles being slightly narrower overall. The other thing is the 65-down axles have the tapered axles setup with bolt on flanges. You do not want that. You want 66-up with one piece flanged axles.
Travis..

68-70 is what you want.
In some applications in the white book the shafts interchange between 8.25 and 8.75

68-70 is what you want.
In some applications in the white book the shafts interchange between 8.25 and 8.75
Not sure how that would work with one being a c clip and roller bearing on shaft.

Not to hijack, but is there a part# or date code on the axial housing that can confirm a 68 - 70? Location?

Auto Transport Service
Back