• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear gear set

NO. Sure grips are not carrier dependent. They will swap between any carrier, 741, 742 or 489 as the OD of the bearing cups are the same. You're taking it all apart and getting new bearings anyway.

As far as a used Sure grip goes, it's just like a used motor, a roll of the dice. I wouldn't buy a used Auburn, but I'd buy a used clutch type and get a clutch kit.
Demonic is absolutely dead right!

I'll buy a used Auburn (cone type) if the seller can show pics of the internals of the unit. Even if the cones have worn to the point where the faces are hitting bottom but everything else looks good, I can fix it.
I have a post from b-bodies bookmarked in my phone that shows how to recon a cone suregrip, and I could have done it easily when I was working and had access to my mills, lathes and saws.
Now that I'm retired, I would probably stick to the clutch style. No machine work, just new parts.
But heck, I'm using a Detroit locker, and spools, what do I know? (Not meant sarcastically)

Even if you use the factory thick shim? It usually has a pretty good radius on it. And I've used Ratech kits lots of times. In fact, they were one of the first to supply a crush sleeve eliminator spacer but the first one I got was too long so they got a call from me saying how much too long it was. Once the pinion dept was set, there was no way to get even a bit of bearing preload. Having a lathe, it was no sweat fixing the one in my hand so it didn't slow me down but they sent me a new one anyways. It took a couple of weeks so they probably did some checking and fixed the problem but at least they did it. Some companies just ignore ya.

Rarely do I get a rear end setup that goes 100% smoothly lol so charging by the hour doesn't make sense so charging by the job is more in line. The worse one took me 8 hours to set up! Thought maybe there was a thick shim that wasn't flat or a bearing face fit that had a burr or even a bearing that wasn't right. Man, chased my tail on that one. Finally got it right but never did find anything that was the culprit....

you are missing the point on the Yukon 742 gear sets -- this radius does not allow the preload shims to set FLAT like they are supposed to..which will not allow the square shoulder of the bearing to seat ---- how i found out was i was doing a shim selection for pinion bearing preload on a set of New Yukon Gear 3.55 ' s -- using the original Chrysler shim as a start i tightened the nut down and heard something snap -- pulled it back apart and the shim had split -- looked closer and seen the outward radius -- compared the gear to a stock gear set and you can see the undercut on the factory gears --- i just helped a fellow out on the A-body forum with the same problem. he posted a really good picture of the problem radius --- can't seem to get/find a contact number for Yukon gear to resolve the problem so i am not going to use or recommend those gears to anyone ---

109_2272.JPG

So decisions have been made, thanks to all for input.

Dr. Diff suggested 3.23 after looking at all the particulars with my set up and I'm not looking back. 3.23 US Gear ring and pinion.

Ratech complete ring and pinion install kit.

For the doctors time I'm spending some with him also. Getting the powr-lok sure grip and a crush sleeve eliminator.

Total investment about $750 plus what I pay my guy to install. I'm sure it will be totally worth it!

you are missing the point on the Yukon 742 gear sets -- this radius does not allow the preload shims to set FLAT like they are supposed to..which will not allow the square shoulder of the bearing to seat ---- how i found out was i was doing a shim selection for pinion bearing preload on a set of New Yukon Gear 3.55 ' s -- using the original Chrysler shim as a start i tightened the nut down and heard something snap -- pulled it back apart and the shim had split -- looked closer and seen the outward radius -- compared the gear to a stock gear set and you can see the undercut on the factory gears --- i just helped a fellow out on the A-body forum with the same problem. he posted a really good picture of the problem radius --- can't seem to get/find a contact number for Yukon gear to resolve the problem so i am not going to use or recommend those gears to anyone ---

View attachment 955520
Ah, got ya. It's not all that hard to remedy that either......

this radius does not allow the preload shims to set FLAT like they are supposed to..which will not allow the square shoulder of the bearing to seat ---- how i found out was i was doing a shim selection for pinion bearing preload on a set of New Yukon Gear 3.55 ' s -- using the original Chrysler shim as a start i tightened the nut down and heard something snap -- pulled it back apart and the shim had split --

Thank You! for posting that John-9. I just checked a set I had here. Same as you said- undercut is only in one plane looks like. Ugh.

Auto Transport Service
Back