• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear main seal 440

big man I am seeking info on the best places to use the rtv, I am going to go the rope seal around the crank and then use the side rubber seals, I am unsure on which:
* rubber side seals to get? (the best)
* which silicone to use? (the best)

tiny amount on the sides at the ends, the instructions should say that. High temp black worked for me. let it get tacky then bolt together.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the perfect picture and description. Felpro and a tiny bit of RTV I know you sadi you are using rope but that is old school stuff. The picture of the felpros would be how to mount those seals, cuts offset like that.

i`ve replaced the rear main seal on my 65 Plymouth 383 with a billet Retainer from manciniracing.
View attachment 206222
Used a seal from Felpro.
View attachment 206223
A little RTV on both sides of the Retainer.
So far no Oil leaking!

Just before you assemble clean one last time with brake clean RTV does not like oil residue

Horsepower TV had an episode showing how to install the seal. Search for keywords Mopar, big block, etc. They put black RTV in the sides and slid the straight seals half way in installed the round seal with RTV on the mating surface and rotated 1/8 in. offset, installed the cap then slid the straight seals the rest of the way in and trimmed the excess. Let the RTV cure 24 hours before adding oil. Works for me.

Posted via Topify on Android

***8-26-14 UPDATE***
2008 Episode 3. UFC Street Fighter

It's a quick review of how a 440 goes together.

http://www.powerblocktv.com/episode/HP2008-03/ufc-street-fighter#.U_02N2Oyo84

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back