• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear main seal leak and need advice

Here the link to the video I made it was my first instructional video hope it helps someone.

Great video!:thumbsup: You clearly explained and showed what you did. :thumbsup: I ground both of those nubs for oil pan bolts. For side to side slop you could set it so seal aligns like in video. Use a feeler gauge to measure gap between block and retainer. Set the same gap when assembled. If a seal retainer has front to back movement you measure back of block to retainer so it's aligned back to front.

Thanks Fran! Another way to set front to back is feeler gauges between retainer and crank flange.

Thanks Beekeeper, that video was done well and made so much sense, especially the billet trapping oil.
You gave me a new perspective and motivation.
Potts

Hell, Scott did such a good job in that video that even I understood most of it! :thumbsup:

I agree, great video. But the million dollar question is did it stop the leak?

The seal retainer need's RVT in the corner's where it meet's the block. Off set the rope seal where it is not in line with the retainer half's. Also put RVT on the ends' of the seal packing. These are the most common source of leaks' on rear seal's. Their is a kit that you get a wire to pull the new packing into place. Hope you find the problem. A rear main seal leak is a Pain for sure.

The seal retainer need's RVT in the corner's where it meet's the block. Off set the rope seal where it is not in line with the retainer half's. Also put RVT on the ends' of the seal packing. These are the most common source of leaks' on rear seal's. Their is a kit that you get a wire to pull the new packing into place. Hope you find the problem. A rear main seal leak is a Pain for sure.
Where would one get this wire accessory to pull in the new seal into place. This would def help replace the rear main without removing the engine.
Thanks

Thanks for the video this should help out a lot in the explanation of why the seal retainer dose not fit right. I was able to use my original one that came with the motor and it worked well. Use the gray RVT to seal edges of the retainer to block also. It is important that you do this as well. Thanks for the detailed video good job.

Where would one get this wire accessory to pull in the new seal into place. This would def help replace the rear main without removing the engine.
Thanks
Aluminum mig wire work's pretty good. Put a small hole in the packing and fasten the wire to it. Once through your top retainer cut the packing free of the wire.

If I can just add one bit of advice, (and if you covered it and I missed it I apologize)...
If the engine is out of the car, test the seal by hanging or setting the block ***-end down and covering the seal with oil. If you tilt the block just right you don't even need to put the pan on. I like using a thin synthetic for this, like a 5-20 or 10-30 and pour as much as it will take before running out over the rail. Wipe the outer surfaces dry and let it sit, and turn the crank over a bit every so often. If it's going to leak, it will leak right there instead of in the car....much easier to re-do!

I've been told to have the stock retainer cut about "10 thou" to help get a little compression on the seal to the crank.

I've been told to have the stock retainer cut about "10 thou" to help get a little compression on the seal to the crank.
Good advice IF that's the problem. Shaving the retainer when it doesn't need it can cause the seal to squish unevenly, and leak..

If I can just add one bit of advice, (and if you covered it and I missed it I apologize)...
If the engine is out of the car, test the seal by hanging or setting the block ***-end down and covering the seal with oil. If you tilt the block just right you don't even need to put the pan on. I like using a thin synthetic for this, like a 5-20 or 10-30 and pour as much as it will take before running out over the rail. Wipe the outer surfaces dry and let it sit, and turn the crank over a bit every so often. If it's going to leak, it will leak right there instead of in the car....much easier to re-do!

That’s a great idea so I will do just that! I’m thinking of doing a video on the install of the seal and retainer.

This

20210917_100008.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back