• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Oil

Big Mo

Deceased, But not forgotton
Local time
5:38 AM
Reaction score
Being I am new on this forum I am sure this was ask before. My friend has a 66 Bel. and had the rear rebuilt with 323 posi. What oil and lubricant do you guys use in yours? Thanks from Big Mo.

80W90 real oil and add sure grip additive.

Hey Big Mo. Welcome to the Madness if I missed your Welcome Wagon.

First off lets correct your description before you get castrated. GM has Posi units, Mopar use Sure Grips :)

Depending on your climate and it is the same as mine...
20200807_232921.jpg

The Ford Friction Modifier is the proven additive. You can get it at your local Ford dealership. One bottle will do it.

Avoid synthetic lube in a new or rebuilt rear for 500 miles.

First off lets correct your description before you get castrated. GM has Posi units, Mopar use Sure Grips :)
sure grip.jpg
:lol:

Welcome to the best damn Mopar forum on the web, Big Mo!
untitled.png

Depending on your climate and it is the same as mine...
View attachment 989250

The Ford Friction Modifier is the proven additive. You can get it at your local Ford dealership. One bottle will do it.

Avoid synthetic lube in a new or rebuilt rear for 500 miles.
Sorry I never really thought about it. I have friends that have chebby's and mopar's.

I just changed the fluid in my rear end a couple of days ago and it came out almost gray metallic.

From what I can find on internet, this is from metal wear and particles ending up in the fluid.

Should I be concerned?

I got a 64 Impala, seeing as we're talking about Chevys, and it has a Dana 60 410 posi rear end in it it's a beast it's crazy and I love it I also have a Mopar too for you purists out there ,but I'm having some rear end chatter and I've got a small leak in the chunk and it looks red in color and it seems a little thin I've only had the car for a year I bought it as a rescue race car just to drive but I hope that's not transmission fluid LOL PO probably did the rear end 40 years ago so I'm going to change my rear end fluid with that additive as well

I got a 64 Impala, seeing as we're talking about Chevys, and it has a Dana 60 410 posi rear end in it it's a beast it's crazy and I love it I also have a Mopar too for you purists out there ,but I'm having some rear end chatter and I've got a small leak in the chunk and it looks red in color and it seems a little thin I've only had the car for a year I bought it as a rescue race car just to drive but I hope that's not transmission fluid LOL PO probably did the rear end 40 years ago so I'm going to change my rear end fluid with that additive as well

Not clear on your issue, if the rear in question is a Dana 60, not sure where the leak is (chunk usually refers to a removable center section). Sometimes racers would use ATF as rear lube. Not me. Limited slip chatter in a Dana 60 which uses a "clutch" style limited slip should use the 80-90 gear lube AND friction modifier, Ford or Mopar.

Auto Transport Service
Back