• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear seat removal

I've been through this more than I can count...one of the 150,000 reasons I'm on deck for carpal tunnel surgery...

I occasionally worked the seat install job on the assembly line in the late 70s. A and M bodies. The rear seats could usually be installed by just pushing hard on the lower front of the seat until the front bar was pushed over the locking tab. If that did not work, you had to get in the car and push the front of the seat towards the back with both of your legs.

I've been through this more than I can count...one of the 150,000 reasons I'm on deck for carpal tunnel surgery...
I know this is off-topic here, but unless that Carpal tunnel is really bad, I'd think twice. I had a mild case, decided to do it and I've regretted it ever since. Still have more pain, different pain and further issues. Do your homework and get a second opinion. Good Luck.

I know this is off-topic here, but unless that Carpal tunnel is really bad, I'd think twice. I had a mild case, decided to do it and I've regretted it ever since. Still have more pain, different pain and further issues. Do your homework and get a second opinion. Good Luck.
Well DAMN. Had surgery 7am this morning typing here with my left hand. My hands have been skanked since beginning of March and were getting worse. Making a grip on anything was painful making a fist no-go. Hope I’ll be lucky; my mother and brother had cts surgery and were fine. Thanks

Sorry to hear that. I had it so bad, I dropped my DA sander on the floor as both hands went numb. Had surgery on both, absolutely tremendous !! I had a great doctor, if that's any difference.

Well DAMN. Had surgery 7am this morning typing here with my left hand. My hands have been skanked since beginning of March and were getting worse. Making a grip on anything was painful making a fist no-go. Hope I’ll be lucky; my mother and brother had cts surgery and were fine. Thanks
If yours turns out as good as mine, you'll be happy as hell ! Hope it does !

Ok, as usual, I'm late to the party... but I brought more beer.

I just had to deal with this yesterday. It wasn't my first go-round with back seat removal, but a grim reminder of what a pain it is. I tried most of the methods laid out in various threads over the years, but after about 45 minutes I still ended up frustrated and with a wrenched back (I type this with a heating pad on my back).

Here's what finally worked, and it worked FAST:

With the front seats removed, I laid on my back with my head under the dash, and my shoulder against the firewall. I put my right foot on the bottom of the seat - near the floor, and my left foot up higher, near the front of the cushion. I pushed my right (bottom) foot IN, and pushed UP with my left foot, and BOOM... it popped right out. I did the same with the driver's side with the same fast easy results.

Total time for this method (including getting into position twice)... about three minutes! And no strain on any body part. It's all in the legs, boys!

First of all, remove the window winder cranks, and armrests.

Push the front seats all the way forward.....get in the back seat floor behind one seat....knees almost into the bottom of the seat base, and slip your hands in front of your knees.

From there, push your knees into your hands, and the seat base should release enough to pop up.

If the hooks are damaged or twisted, they will need repair or adjustment before putting seat base back.

Auto Transport Service
Back