• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear slick size for 66 Belvedere

Big bill

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:27 PM
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can tell me if a 9”x29.5 15 slick will fit under a 66 Plymouth Belvedere with stock wheel well and springs is the stock location? Or what size will fit/and 15 “ wheel back space is ideal??

29x12.50 will fit under a 65 Plymouth Belvedere with a 15x8,4.5” backspace. They’re tight but fit with no rubbing. 28x10.5” fit really well.

Tiny wheelwell! I honestly don't think a 29.5 will fit, I think it will rub at the front of the opening. I would suggest a 9x28. (But you can always do what I did..... move the rear-end back an inch or so......)
Edit: as for backspace, I would try for as much as your choice of wheel offers, and then use spacers to get the tire Exactly where you want it. I have 15x8.5 with 4 7/8 bs on my 62, but I made a .300 spacer to center it up.
"Most" here say a 15x8 with 4.5 bs seems to work well on everything. With a nine inch slick, you might get by with a 15x7 with 4"bs.

I think the 29.5 will be tight. That clearance to the front is really tight. A 9X28 or 10.5X28.5 should work
I went with a 11.5X28.5 and I have a narrowed Dana. I use Phoenix brand. They do well for me.

29x12.50 will fit under a 65 Plymouth Belvedere with a 15x8,4.5” backspace. They’re tight but fit with no rubbing. 28x10.5” fit really well.
65 cars have a bigger wheel tubb but thanks for the input.

Tiny wheelwell! I honestly don't think a 29.5 will fit, I think it will rub at the front of the opening. I would suggest a 9x28. (But you can always do what I did..... move the rear-end back an inch or so......)
Edit: as for backspace, I would try for as much as your choice of wheel offers, and then use spacers to get the tire Exactly where you want it. I have 15x8.5 with 4 7/8 bs on my 62, but I made a .300 spacer to center it up.
"Most" here say a 15x8 with 4.5 bs seems to work well on everything. With a nine inch slick, you might get by with a 15x7 with 4"bs.
Thanks .

I was looking around today and I want take my 66 plymouth to the track .

I have run 9.0/30 Goodyear Radial slicks on a 66 Belvedere.
I had to jack car up fairly high and put bottom around the brake
drums or unbolt the back of leaf springs.

Ive witnessed this very scenario and can say with 100% certainty that the results were not good. It will fit in there while it’s just sitting, but under the conditions it will see making a pass, it will rub badly on the leading edge of the fender well. I have a buddy with a nice 66 Satelite. I myself have a 67. He put 29.5x9 Hoosiers on 15x8’s, they looked pretty tight to me. Made a pass and all was well until the shutdown area. Ripped up the fender well trim, and destroyed the tire on the drivers side.

I run a 29.5x10.5 PBR on a 15x10. But I’m minitubbed and have moved the axle rearward 3/4”. Prior to the minitub, 28x9,s fit well, but left a little to be desired aesthetically.

Just get a 275/60-15 drag radial on a 15x7 with 4 3/8 to 4 1/2 back space and be done. Will hook a drive to track that way also. Any M&H or M/T will do.

I made the mistake of thinking a '65 & '66 wheel would be the same. Bought the same size slick I used on my '65 Coronet, 11.5X29.5 W which is actually 30.2" diameter. Two mistakes there: forgot I had "moved" the front lip forward on the '65 with the 2# hammer and the '66 wheel well is tighter on the front side and it's narrower up the body line.

Last edited:
I made the mistake of thinking a '65 & '66 wheel would be the same. Bought the same size slick I used on my '65 Coronet, 11.5X29.W which is actually 30.2" diameter. Two mistakes there: forgot I had "moved" the front lip forward on the '65 with the 2# hammer and the '66 wheel well is tighter on the front side and it's narrower up the body line.
Right it looks a lot smaller .

So would a 9x28 on a 15x7 or a15x8 with 4 1/4 back space work?

So would a 9x28 on a 15x7 or a15x8 with 4 1/4 back space work?

You need to measure to see what the backspace should be. Each brand of tire will give recommendations on wheel width, looks like a 9X28 or 9X28.5 will want 8 to 10" width.

Bill, I don't know if this is a wheel you would like, but if I had a 66/67 this is what I would do..... American racing torque thrust 15x7 one piece are usually 3.75 bs, but they make a 15x7 with 4.24bs, the polished tt2, series vn515. I would pair that with a 9x28 slick (or equivalent drag radial if you want to go that way) and I'm pretty sure I could make that fit. The seven is admittedly skinny for a 9" slick, but the wheelwell and available room determines what will work, not some tire companies' "ideal " chart. (I have a pair of the exact wheel mentioned, using it on the front of my 62).
Again, too much backspace can be fixed, too little, cant.
Edit: OOPS, NEVERMIND! Either Amazon lied or they have their head up their ***. Amazon says 4.24, American racing says its 3.75. Funny thing is, I HAVE that wheel, but its 200 miles away, and I can't check it

Last edited:
If it's an option, an A body width rear with big bolt pattern axles makes wheel fitment easier. I have a 67, and the guys are right, it's not the biggest wheel well around..

So any thoughts on a 9x28 slick on a15x7 with a 3 3/4” backspace?

Auto Transport Service
Back