• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear slick size for 66 Belvedere

Bias phoenix fx I’m thinking on 15x7 steel wheel from the 80s diplomat .

The Phoenix tires are the Firestones from the '70 -80's. I preferred the 'Stones to the Goodyears or M&H back in the day. The 'Stones were lighter and did very well with my setup. For several seasons I ran my 11.5X29.5W on a 10" wheel not the recommended 12". It worked fine although slightly more wear in the center than with the 12" wheel. My point is although a 8" wheel is recommended for a 9X28 tire, I bet a 7' will work just fine. I also used 1/4" spacers for about a thousand runs with no problem. Just say'n.

15x8 with 4.5 backspace
9x28 tires
66123E2D-9CEF-4299-BBB6-DB0A2ED6D6A6.jpeg

On my '66 Coronet I had 30x9 radial Hoosiers with a 8in wheel,4.5 backspace. Still had to trim the outer wheel housing lip and beat in the outer wheel house. 5 inch BS wheel would be better. I also had to space the front hangar back 1/4 inch.

This is correct -
But I raced the car in the above post for 11 years with 8 inch 4.5 backspace
It went 9.88@135 best. Race weight with driver was 3750
I think the 4.5 backspace worked ok

But I raced the car in the above post for 11 years with 8 inch 4.5 backspace
It went 9.88@135 best. Race weight with driver was 3750
I think the 4.5 backspace worked ok

Yes, 4.5 bs does work, as it worked for me. But in my case a 5in backspace would have been better.

Yes, 4.5 bs does work, as it worked for me. But in my case a 5in backspace would have been better.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^.

It's better to have the tire closer to the spring than the outer wheelhouse lip. The tire to spring clearance is basically a fixed measurement, while the body to tire clearance will vary quite a bit while driving.

9X30- Goodyear [stiff sidewall], on 15X7 Cragar S/S. Front corner was moved an inch forward, lip was rolled, and a 2lb. hammer in a couple of places on the inside of the tub. It was very tight, but I drove it on the street.

wagon shoot 014.jpg
wagon shoot 006.jpg
_DOC1012b.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back