• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Window Regulator Removal

Piranhaz

Local time
10:33 AM
Reaction score
OK guys, this dog is different than my 70 B-Body. What am I missing here? Doesn't appear you can unbolt the glass like on the newer stuff. What's the trick to getting everything out (and back in)? I would like to clean everything really well and re-grease.

Thanks in advance.

I pulled out the rear regulators on my 66 2dr sedan and separated the glass from them......no problem. Might be different on a hardtop?

here's a good video for a 71. It may be similar

I think Vic is a member here too

here's a good video for a 71. It may be similar

I think Vic is a member here too

That's a different animal. I wish I had that much room!
I was able to get everything out, but not sure how it's gonna go back in yet........
Anyway,
Another question. So I pulled apart the driver side and found this roller laying in the bottom of the 1/4. So I cleaned it up and now I'm trying to figure out where it goes. I think it's supposed to ride in this track somehow, but I'm guessing there is a piece missing? The white roller fits into the aluminum casting that the window is in. So, I open up the passenger side just so I can see how it goes together, and low and behold there is one of those laying in the bottom of the 1/4 as well...............

K_r3KVaQXdpDCTZ1FHlJ8wVcZbK_jdv3NQuJSk70ouQT52sE81ig3tK_FtxQlfJpwoCEi5Mr=w706-h937-no?authuser=0.jpg

I was able to get everything out, but not sure how it's gonna go back in yet........
Anyway,
Another question. So I pulled apart the driver side and found this roller laying in the bottom of the 1/4. So I cleaned it up and now I'm trying to figure out where it goes. I think it's supposed to ride in this track somehow, but I'm guessing there is a piece missing? The white roller fits into the aluminum casting that the window is in. So, I open up the passenger side just so I can see how it goes together, and low and behold there is one of those laying in the bottom of the 1/4 as well...............

View attachment 1212159
Oh geez....I don't mean to laugh but been there done that!! Sorry that I can't help you with it......:(

Anyway,

View attachment 1212159
I have no experience with any older than 68, but you can download a service manual on mymopar.com if you don't have a hard copy. They go over all the window stuff pretty good.

I should really do a video on these. It's a whole different animal.......... I should have parts by next week and I can start reinstalling. Still haven't pulled apart the passenger side yet because I want to keep one in tact so I know how it goes back together, LOL!

Anyway,

View attachment 1212159

If that is the rearmost track in your hand (I think it is) then that roller most likely rides in it. It was missing in one of mine too and was a real pain to install. I think I found that it was easiest with the glass lowered all the way. There is another piece to that roller but I will need to look it up to describe.

These guys on here said removal of the rear window and track would be a painful experience - and it was.

I think that’s the roller that rides in the track. There is a second roller/slide with one of those washer clips that slides in the rear groove of the glass holder frame. I think that ball stud fits in it. Do you have a factory service manual? The body assembly section should have a detail on it.

I think that’s the roller that rides in the track. There is a second roller/slide with one of those washer clips that slides in the rear groove of the glass holder frame. I think that ball stud fits in it. Do you have a factory service manual? The body assembly section should have a detail on it.
That's the part I had to order. It's missing the part that the ball stud presses into. Hopefully all will make sense when I get the new kit.

Light coating chassis grease or silicon grease. Please don’t use spray can white lithium, it sets up like week old oatmeal after a couple of years. I’ve heard tube lithium doesn’t have the same characteristic - not sure.

Light coating chassis grease or silicon grease. Please don’t use spray can white lithium, it sets up like week old oatmeal after a couple of years. I’ve heard tube lithium doesn’t have the same characteristic - not sure.
Yeah, the spray can lithium will set up after awhile. I use a motorcycle chain lube. It's not very thick but lasts a long time.

Auto Transport Service
Back