• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rear window

wahya

Local time
1:04 PM
Reaction score
I am about to put the trim on the rear window (71) and was wondering about the area at the bottom of the window under the trim. This area is a good place for water to sit and had been rusted out. Would you fill this area with a sealer or let it be. Ron.

I am about to put the trim on the rear window (71) and was wondering about the area at the bottom of the window under the trim. This area is a good place for water to sit and had been rusted out. Would you fill this area with a sealer or let it be. Ron.
If it's going to be a driver, and the fact that you live in Fl, you could get away with it....I would 'clean' up the area with a wire wheel and apply a quality rust inhibitor on the area, then you could seal it with either seam sealer or some good caulk.

Way past the wire wheel. I replaced the whole panel, part of the gutter and part of quarter with donor parts. The car has been painted and there is no rust there now. About the only time its going to get wet now is when it gets washed and I'm probably being overly cautious, but I don't want to go through that again. The rust all started in that little corner.

Attachments

• DSCN0018.jpg
    DSCN0018.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 208
I pulled the rear windows in both my 71 & 72 Charger. Neither was rusted but rear window was leaking. Thought about filling the lower channel with some type of compound but was afraid I would leave a void for water to get in and sit long term. Decided against filling the channel. Both cars are garaged, whenever I wash them or get caught in the rain I simply take my shop vac, put a rag over the end and suck all the water out of the bottom channel. Sounds a little extreme but I agree this is one of the worst areas when it comes to rust.

I pulled the rear windows in both my 71 & 72 Charger. Neither was rusted but rear window was leaking. Thought about filling the lower channel with some type of compound but was afraid I would leave a void for water to get in and sit long term. Decided against filling the channel. Both cars are garaged, whenever I wash them or get caught in the rain I simply take my shop vac, put a rag over the end and suck all the water out of the bottom channel. Sounds a little extreme but I agree this is one of the worst areas when it comes to rust.

Ive also used low air pressure with the blow chuck to get any water out of channels. (As if for some ungodly reason the car even gets wet)

Way past the wire wheel. I replaced the whole panel, part of the gutter and part of quarter with donor parts. The car has been painted and there is no rust there now. About the only time its going to get wet now is when it gets washed and I'm probably being overly cautious, but I don't want to go through that again. The rust all started in that little corner.
Wow, nice job with (I assume) the plasma cutter.

Auto Transport Service
Back