• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rearend explosion

poppaj

Banned
Banned
Local time
1:22 PM
Reaction score
Well I thought things were going well yesterday at the Halloween race at Pacemakers Dragway. We were in the semi-finals of the Quick race,still in Pro and Super Pro as well. We had a good 1.291 60ft time as well in time trials. But got sidelined for the evening when the car spit the ring and pinion out, not the way I wanted to end the night.

mmm37.jpg

damn, that sucks !! just think, now something stronger will fill the void !!:idea1:

sorry to hear that.
bet the tranny is toast.
guaranteed sprag is gone.
been there 2 years ago.
1st broke tranny u joint , broke tranny,sprag, rear roller support and bent tailshaft.
fixed it and next weekend at the beaver broke my dana and wiped out tranny for the 2nd time in 2 weeks.
it was a costly month.
atleast its the end of the season for you.

Man, that sux's! Like Chris said... at least it's the end of the year and not beginning or middle.

Was it a Pro Gear?

Kevin

I have broke them in the past, normal for me to pull tranny and pull it apart and check it over. It usually will break the scag is true. I use a 10 spring super sprag and last time all was well in the trans. But I doubt I will get lucky twice.

Did the rear have a support cover?

Don't feel alone, went to Bristol for the mopar weekend, made the first pass at 5.51, 123mph, 1.20 60ft time,next pass let go of the brake got the ring, pinon and 1 axle. This is the 3rd dana 60 in less than a year. All parts were Richman, and Strange. Loaded up the trailer and became a spectator. I guess it is like the old saying "if it was easy everyone would have one".

Don't feel alone, went to Bristol for the mopar weekend, made the first pass at 5.51, 123mph, 1.20 60ft time,next pass let go of the brake got the ring, pinon and 1 axle. This is the 3rd dana 60 in less than a year. All parts were Richman, and Strange. Loaded up the trailer and became a spectator. I guess it is like the old saying "if it was easy everyone would have one".
What's your launch rpm, back lash clearance etc and weight of the car? Are you running a support cover? How bout aftermarket bearing caps?

I have to wonder what the contact pattern on the drive side of the tooth was like. Was it dead center? Sometimes the pattern shows up centered from the root to the tip but can be out at the edge. On the bright side at least you know you're making power!!

I had a friend years ago that did rear-ends. If the car was a strip car, he would set-up the mesh pattern slightly "south" of center. His logic was that if it was hi-torque launches, then that power would tend to cause the pinion to "creep" up the ring gear, therefore putting the pinion in the center of the ring gear at the critical moments. A "centered" contact pattern would creep towards the "outer" edge of the ring gear under high stress. A weaker place, he said. Just my $.02

I had a friend years ago that did rear-ends. If the car was a strip car, he would set-up the mesh pattern slightly "south" of center. His logic was that if it was hi-torque launches, then that power would tend to cause the pinion to "creep" up the ring gear, therefore putting the pinion in the center of the ring gear at the critical moments. A "centered" contact pattern would creep towards the "outer" edge of the ring gear under high stress. A weaker place, he said. Just my $.02

I left out the stress factor, but yeah, it was my intent to illustrate where the force was applied on the tooth. Well said.

My launch rpm on the brake is 4800, car weighs 2765lbs with me in it, and I have aftermarket caps on the 60. Do not know the backlash and clearance and I do not have a support cover Yet

I try to set the gears on the money but will set my back lash a bit tight if it's going to see drag racing but give em more if it's going into a circle track or road racer. The biggest problem is the pinion tries to push the ring out the back of the housing and this is where a support girdle helps but having the correct type of material is really important too. The 'pro' gears are softer to take the shock loads and will not shatter as easy as a OEM gear will. Richmond also makes what they call their 'street series' gears. Softer than a factory set but harder than the pro set. Gear climb is there for sure too but the main problem with a 60 that's set up with the pro gears is improper setup and the bearings caps moving. It's kinda like cap walk in a block. Having stronger caps is good but the bolts will only take so much and need a little bit of help.

Auto Transport Service
Back