• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rearend fluid change

Sebring

Local time
7:50 PM
Reaction score
Hi everyone I'd like some input from you guys on what fluid I should use to replace the fluid in the rear end of my 73 satellite with a suregrip.as far as l know its all original, a little bit noisy going into reverse but not bad otherwise for its year.lt wont be getting abused or driven hard at all either ( it's only a 318 in it) thanks in advance :luvplace: ps I known this is a little premature but I'd like to wish everyone a happy fourth of july when it arrives :usflag:

Last edited:
Also add a bottle of sure grip additive.
Mopar has a 4oz bottle or you should be able to get some like a Lucas or Napa brand.

Mopar has a 4oz bottle or you should be able to get some like a Lucas or Napa brand.

Agree if it is a sure grip. I would check it first to make sure. Jack rear up at the chunk to get both rear wheels off the ground. Turn one of the wheels and if the other turns in the same direction it's a sure grip. If the other wheel turns in the opposite direction don't waste your money on sure grip additive.

Not sure what you mean by "noisy" going into reverse. A little gear backlash, maybe. BUT I'd sure give a close look at the U joints. 80-90 gear lube & the limited slip additive is what you want.

Sounds like this might not be a rear end issue. What noise are you hearing when shifting to R? Does it continue when in R or just after making the shift into R? Is this a clunk or clanging sound? Is there a noticeable hesitation before the shift engages after shifting into R? Do you hear noise when driving it?

And to check how good your Sure Grip is after verifying you have one, lower one tire to the ground. Make sure the front tires are blocked....and then try and turn the other tire to see how much resistance it gives you. If you have to grunt to make it turn a little, then the SG is usually still in good shape. If it give you 'some' resistance, it's going to need some help. If it's an original rear to the car, it's most likely a cone unit and if the resistance is moderate to light, you need to pull it out now and not hammer on it trying to make it lock up.....because it won't. You'll only damage it beyond repair an yes, they can be machined (repaired) to work and can work well again. Been doing them for a lot of years.

If it's an original 318 Sat, odds are kinda remote it's a SG unless someone installed later...

If it's an original 318 Sat, odds are kinda remote it's a SG unless someone installed later...
I've found SG's in cars that you would never think about! You could get a SG in any car just by checking off on the order form. I learned that after finding them in cars like New Yorkers and other big Chryslers. Used to troll the local pick and pulls every Friday and found several from 'low performance' cars. Back in the mid 80's to the mid 90's they were 39 bucks!!

I've found SG's in cars that you would never think about! You could get a SG in any car just by checking off on the order form. I learned that after finding them in cars like New Yorkers and other big Chryslers. Used to troll the local pick and pulls every Friday and found several from 'low performance' cars. Back in the mid 80's to the mid 90's they were 39 bucks!!
Hate to tell ya what I paid for my last gear set...

Not sure what you mean by "noisy" going into reverse. A little gear backlash, maybe. BUT I'd sure give a close look at the U joints. 80-90 gear lube & the limited slip additive is what you want.
That was one of the first things I did was replace the ujoints.and still a little noisy going into reverse

Get up under the car and turn the shaft or grab the yoke and see how much back and forth play it has. There's always a bit of back lash in the ring and pinion so there will be some play. Have the wheels blocked and the trans in neutral. 1/8 of a turn is getting sloppy but not all that uncommon.

Wish I'd bought a few cases in 1979.. LOL.. but I had enough to do the Bee one last time!
beerestoration2017 1985.JPG

I called one off the local Chrysler dealerships in Winnipeg earlier today and inquired if they stocked the actual mopar 4oz bottles thinking to myself no way will they have it! but to my surprise they have it in stock!! Usually when l call to ask if they carry particular items for my car and they ask me the make/ model and year they just kinda giggle saying you'll be lucky!!but this time l was lucky :bananaweed:

I called one off the local Chrysler dealerships in Winnipeg earlier today and inquired if they stocked the actual mopar 4oz bottles thinking to myself no way will they have it! but to my surprise they have it in stock!! Usually when l call to ask if they carry particular items for my car and they ask me the make/ model and year they just kinda giggle saying you'll be lucky!!but this time l was lucky :bananaweed:
I think it's a different formula. Got some for my 2000 Durango and it started chattering again pretty quickly. Ended up using STP as the additive and it's been quiet ever since.....but it's a different type of limited slip unit.

Well l managed to get a 4oz bottle of mopar limited slip addative! Question now is how much should l put in,all off it? I'd appreciate your feedback on this matter. The instructions on the bottle aren't too clear :thankyou::luvplace:

Well l managed to get a 4oz bottle of mopar limited slip addative! Question now is how much should l put in,all off it? I'd appreciate your feedback on this matter. The instructions on the bottle aren't too clear :thankyou::luvplace:
If you have drained the rear end , yes you use the 4oz bottle. put it in 1st before adding the 80/90 so you know you can get it in.
If you were just topping one off or had a little chatter to try to get rid of just a ounce or two.

Auto Transport Service
Back