• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rearend

flatheadgary

Local time
3:58 AM
Reaction score
i have a '63 belvedere with the stock rear end. i know you all will say just get a later rear end and i have several ones too. what i would like to do is use the pumpkin and axles from one and put them into my original. i don't want to have to cut down the later one to match the width of the original one. can i use the pumpkin and axles and brakes to fit in the original one. i also know i would have to cut and respline the axles too. can it be done?

Basically it sounds like you need 68-70 axles and trim them to 62-5 specs.
I put a 66-67 in my 64 dodge and it fits nicely, narrower than stock by a hair if I recall

Basically it sounds like you need 68-70 axles and trim them to 62-5 specs.
I put a 66-67 in my 64 dodge and it fits nicely, narrower than stock by a hair if I recall
1 1/2” approximately. 65 will work also

IIRCC the '65 to 67 8 3.4" axle housings/axles fit the early '60's cars. You would be very happy swapping to the latter model axle. It is so much easier to maintain.
BTW, the '68-70 axels are wider.

Yes, but they are the odd end axels. The '65-67 have the newer style axels, like the '68-70 rears. Does the early '60's axel have a different spline than the later versions? I forget.

Yes, but they are the odd end axels. The '65-67 have the newer style axels, like the '68-70 rears. Does the early '60's axel have a different spline than the later versions? I forget.
Splines are the same, but there's a difference in the thrust block thickness I believe.

.. until '71 up.
Here's the definitive info;

i am not sure you all get what i am saying. all i want to know is, can i put the pumpkin and the axles in the early housing. i know i have to cut and respline the axles. it's just a matter of measuring the early ones and cut the newer ones the same. what is this thrust block? if i use the same pumpkin and axles why should i have a problem with it? i don't need to hunt up axles and housings the correct width when i have about 5 complete rears already.

i am not sure you all get what i am saying. all i want to know is, can i put the pumpkin and the axles in the early housing. i know i have to cut and respline the axles. it's just a matter of measuring the early ones and cut the newer ones the same. what is this thrust block? if i use the same pumpkin and axles why should i have a problem with it? i don't need to hunt up axles and housings the correct width when i have about 5 complete rears already.
Ok!
All 8 34 pumpkins go in all 8 34 housings.
All 8 34 end flanges are the same bolt pattern.

Open to being corrected.

I don't understand why this is such a pissing contest sometimes...

If you have a 62-3 short housing and want to install the 65 up backing plates and axles just install the 3rd member you want to use...install 65 and newer backing plates and the correct axles for a bolt in application are available through Dr. Diff and will have green bearings already installed...

Some times you just have to get dirty to sort everything out...then you will know when someone posts incorrect information...

see that's all i was looking for! thanks. on another note, the reason for this is the 9 inch i was trying to put in it has come with it's own problems. i wanted to use the ford because it had the ratio i wanted. i already had a rebuild kit for the ford too. i know of a place that will respline the axles for 200 bucks. i needed the bolt pattern change to 4.5 also. now that i know i can change everything, all i have to do is get another rebuild kit, cut those axles and another gear set and i am golden. thanks again

Auto Transport Service
Back