• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rebuild 727 or Buy New.

Turbine, I agree, a 727 is not too difficult. Not many special tools needed. Just a few tips on how. I did my 1st 727 in 1973 on my street 383 Barracuda. After that many 727's for my bracket cars 500-600 HP, many customer 727's. Never any complaints. Just use the correct combination. Advice is available.

Get the 727 handbook (carl munroe), study the areas that pertain to your type of build and don't be afraid to dig in. If your parts are cleaned, inspected, & methodical with reassembly, you'll be fine. You'll have a lot of satisfaction knowing you did it yourself. I've done over a dozen with no problems. If you need a few questions answered along the way there's plenty of helpful people on this forum.
This is what I did, it really isn't too tough. I did mine, not because just to save money, but because nobody can seem to do stuff right anymore. I'm sure there's tons of good old tranny guys out there, but it just wasn't worth the chance for me. I didn't want to take it out again EVEN if the builder waranteed it. Plus I knew I was putting in quality parts.

Turbine, I agree, a 727 is not too difficult. Not many special tools needed. Just a few tips on how. I did my 1st 727 in 1973 on my street 383 Barracuda. After that many 727's for my bracket cars 500-600 HP, many customer 727's. Never any complaints. Just use the correct combination. Advice is available.
My 727 was the first one I learned on. Why? I simply didn't want to risk handing either the car or the trans over to a shop and getting back a rebuilt core, never seeing my numbers matching case again. There was only one way to guarantee that it wouldn't happen. Do it yourself and learn a valuable skill along the way. Worked out perfect and still shifts great 15 years later.

Doesn't matter what it started life as. As long as it has 4 frictions in the front drum anything else will live. 3 pinion planets are fine.
Doug

A big Thank You to all who replied, it is greatly appreciated. I’m going to take it to a shop that is run by a second generation transmission shop in Staten Island. My good buddy has used then for years on his fleet of construction vehicles for almost thirty years without a hitch. The owner is a Mopar man so my buddy says he is excited about going through it. Thanks again for all your replies, I have read every one and too them under advisement.

Auto Transport Service
Back