• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rebuild for my six pack - chime in, guys and gals!

• Thread starter Deleted member 214
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 214

I have a 70 Road Runner original V code 4-speed car. I bought it from a buddy who found it with no engine or tranny about 15 years ago, raced it some, then put in a street motor he had in the garage using a 74 block and a 23-spline. I bought it about ten years ago. 906 heads, stock compression, stock cam .450 lift, stock six pack intake and carbs, factory HP exhaust manifolds, 3" pipes. I put in a Tremec five speed a while back - used to drive to the Mopar Nats from Fort Worth. 74 Dart disk brakes up front.

It has been smoking some, fouling plugs, little backfiring out of the exhaust when I back out of the gas. I'm a parts replacer and not a diagnostician so took it to Motorheads in Elyria, Ohio. http://motorheadsoh.com/Home_Page.html. They specialize in Mopars. Hoping it was carbs and timing, but no such luck. Need a full rebuild. Heads, pistons, cam, the whole enchilada.

I'm a street cruiser, not a racer. However, since I gotta spend the coin anyway, might as well spend a few extra and make it run real nice. The plan - Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, Comp Cams Xtreme Energy 21-227-4 Advertised Duration 275/287 (231/237 @050) .525/.525 lift, ceramic coat headers. The fingers on the clutch were dangerously worn so the clutch goes bye-bye. The shop recommended a McLeod twin disk unit, light pedal but can handle the HP. They are matching the pistons to the heads and block deck for good quench. I have a correct date code block in the garage so will have that one built instead of the 74 block.

Whaddaya think, kiddies?

You certainly don't need Eddelbrock heads for a good street cruiser. Personally I'd save the money and apply it elsewhere. 906 heads are plenty good enough with the right cam. Also a twin disc clutch is horribly expensive and I bet you can get along just fine with a good 11" unit. I hear the Centerforce are really good. Focus on durability, oiling and getting the combo right.

I agree on the heads. I have 1971-72 346 heads on a 1976 30 over block, Edelbrock 6 pack manifold slightly larger than stock 6 pack cam on mt 65 Belvedere. It's a torque monster! No need for after market heads.

The heads are TOAST and need replaced. We have a 10% coupon for Summit so it will save some coin. Since heads need replaced and can not be even rebuilt Edie RPM with the larger comb. chamber might make some sense.
Gregs70 is my little Bro btw. Looked at 440 Source and the E Street but for a little more the RPM started to make sense to us.

My 906 heads are not rebuildable. I'm looking at the cost of starting from scratch having the shop rebuilding some cores I have vs. new aluminum heads with better flow, better chambers, quench, etc. OOTB. Yep, I know I can get away with a cheaper clutch, but I'm getting to be an old fart and a nice light clutch is very appealing. Part of this project is converting to power steering, again to make this puppy fun to drive. This will be my last car build so I'm thinking go big or go home...

Update from the garage: the summer of 69 short block I had will work with an .030 overbore so I'll have the correct date code block for my car. The 74 block and its forged crank will be for sale. My new motor will be very streetable and will end up at 450 to 500 hp. Can't wait until it is done!

Send your clutch and pressure plate to Rochester clutch and let them rebuild it. They did mine, awesome job; 800hp rated. I did a 440 stroked to 520 11:1 compression, eagle stroker kit, sent my 6 pack off to promax for them to dyno it and fix problems$175; I went with edelbrock 84cc, with harland sharp 1.5 rockers on comp cam drag cam.

I disagree on the heads, I had 906 heads and a complete top end kit from Edelbrock was a little over 2 grand. If you get Mopar Muscle, the last issue mailed out has "poor man's 440", my build was very similar to that one except I bought new roller rockers instead of using the stock.

I really like the upgrades and the difference it made in my car. The 440 is strong on the bottom but the top end is the weak spot in my opinion and many racers and pullers.

here is the sound I wound up with:

[video=youtube;qAEBhnALgac]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAEBhnALgac[/video]

Auto Transport Service
Back