• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rebuilding a 413

flatheadgary

Local time
1:49 AM
Reaction score
i've got a '63 imperial 413 motor i am going to rebuild hopefully just a re-ring. it will go into my fed. i am aware that the bottom end is the same as the 440 but what i would like to know is why is a rebuild kit so much more for the 413. if everything except the pistons is the same why so much? i guess what i am getting at is, can i just buy a kit with bearings and gaskets for the 440 and get rings for a 413? i have race heads and cam for it too. i also have a complete 440 but a cast crank type. nhra will not allow them to race because sfi balancers are not made for them. please don't go off on a tangent about rebuilding the 440 with all new rotating assembly because i am not as well heeled as you all are. that's why i drive a dragster. they go a lot faster than a door car for a lot less money.

Yes, buy the 440 kit & 413 rings separately.

Short answer - yes, use a 440 kit, but 413 rings/pistons (if necessary). FYI- Your 413 crank will bolt right up into that 440 cast crank block....just sayin

Auto Transport Service
Back