• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

receiver/drier problem

pioneer61

Local time
12:52 AM
Reaction score
Got a Chinese made Four Seasons receiver/drier for my 72 Charger because the picture in the ad looked like my original. Well a picture is worth a thousand curse words because it doesn't match. No provision for the harness plug in and no sight glass. Are there rx/driers out there that are correct? If not, is it possible to cut the original open, replace the dessicant, and weld it back up?

20220126_153643.jpg 20220126_153623.jpg 20220126_153600.jpg

I’m going to reactive the gel with a few
Hours in the oven at 200F on the 66 since it is the sideways one. Original air can do what you are saying but they are so backed up they are not taking new work right now.

reactivate the gel? this can be acieved by putting in the oven?

The danger is really if there was ever a failure and having metal in it

Well..this sounds like it's worth trying. We'll have to swap notes

Automotive Air Conditioning Desiccant
Desiccant is the material that is used as the drying agent to remove moisture from the refrigerant and oil in your a/c system.
The Receiver Drier and Accumulator contains a bag of dessicant which is used to trap system damaging moisture. Moisture inside your a/c system can cause ice formation and corrosion. Acid that forms when refrigerant mixes with moisture can weaken aluminum components such as the Condenser and Evaporator.

Some of the moisture removing desiccants found within are not compatible with R-134a. The desiccant type is usually identified on a sticker that is affixed to the receiver-drier. Newer receiver-driers and accumulators use desiccant type XH-7 and are compatible with both R-12 and R-134a refrigerants.

Because desiccant materials break down with age and the bag that contains it can rupture, you should replace the Receiver Drier or Accumulator if it's over five years old - or - any time the system is opened for major repair.

You can buy cheap borescopes look up to your phone and look inside And see how things look. Was probably written by an air conditioning company that wants to sell your dryer to remember

yeah...that'd be preferable to cutting one open. though i may on a junk one first, just to satisfy my curiosity

that'll probably be the way i proceed then. any snags to watch out for that you're aware of?

Here is a thought new two place to put your problems
1st the sight can be bought at an a/c place and fitted i to the line after the dryer.
2nd you can get a pressure switch and install it at the compressor. I don't know what your cut out pressure should be but you know that. If converted from r12 to 134a they're both different on cut out.

I’d love to see one cut open. I wish I hadn’t thrown away all my old ones

Here is a thought new two place to put your problems
1st the sight can be bought at an a/c place and fitted i to the line after the dryer.
2nd you can get a pressure switch and install it at the compressor. I don't know what your cut out pressure should be but you know that. If converted from r12 to 134a they're both different on cut out.
thanks for bringing this up. this is all completely new to me. i'll have to figure out that cut out pressure

thanks for bringing this up. this is all completely new to me. i'll have to figure out that cut out pressure
Is it 134a freon and your manual should tell you what it was. Again if you have 134a it's different than r12.

currently it is empty but had R12. i completely disassembled the car and am putting it back together

20220122_162818.jpg

Perfect go to your a/c store tell them you need a sight glass inline and a pressure switch inline or at the compressor. Show them what you have now and they will hook you up. Or might have a replacement dryer you want.

Jim sorry about butting in was not my intention.

Auto Transport Service
Back