• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rechromed my 68 charger half horn ring

Yennes

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:44 PM
Reaction score
Hi fbbo,

Just wanted to share my most intense re chrome project. I did everything by myself from beginning to strip it, grind and polish it and copper, nickel, chrome plating it. I tried to hit the factory satin finish and did quite well (I think).

I never saw anybody posting about rechrome this part, so I do. There are many hours in grinding sessions done.
I would guess like 20h overall (I have no special tools). Most is done with a peace of sandpaper and my hands.

It is hard to take pictures. Maybe I will add pictures in comments when you are interested. But I need to wait for better weather here in Germany. Sun is not smiling yet.

Please tell me what you think.

Thanks
Yannik
0E6F4B32-6ECE-41AA-BFCD-8CF3FDB0BC44.jpeg

Looks great in the picture. After the prepping the part, what's involved in plating it at home?

Please let us know how you plated it at home

Looks great in the picture. After the prepping the part, what's involved in plating it at home?
Lots of dodgy chemicals that the EPA don't want you playing with.

Nice job @Yennes ...looks very smart now.

BTW....I wouldn't tell too many people that you did a load of grinding. :lol:

I prep it at home and plated it in the shop. I am electro plater. You can not keep these chemicals at home. The requirements here are much harder than in the US. Especially for the chrome tank.

BTW....I wouldn't tell too many people that you did a load of grinding. :lol:
I will keep that in mind :D
I do not know any proverbs in english, please do not blame me for saying anything:D

Last edited:
If you guys use Instagram, you can check my highlight story about the horn ring. There are a few pictures of it, and I started taking pictures back in summer 2022. Now you could imagine how long this thing took and how much work gone into it.

Here is the Instagram story link: Login • Instagram (the story name is „steering wheel“)

Thanks to all for the feedback!

I think you did a brilliant job on that piece. Especially all that you did at home. Now the real test of your skills….. I have about 25-30 B Body bumpers that I’d like to ship over to you for rechrome work. Since you do the sanding and prep at home no problem on the time. I’ll need them shipped back by April. What do you say - Aye?

I think you did a brilliant job on that piece. Especially all that you did at home. Now the real test of your skills….. I have about 25-30 B Body bumpers that I’d like to ship over to you for rechrome work. Since you do the sanding and prep at home no problem on the time. I’ll need them shipped back by April. What do you say - Aye?
:lol::lol::lol:

Auto Transport Service
Back