• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommendations for my new to me 68 Charger

Stampy167

Local time
3:19 PM
Reaction score
Hello all,
I was hoping to see if anyone had some advice on my next steps for my Charger. I purchased it from my father slightly before he passed away this year. He loved it, but it had been sitting in his garage for a number of years not getting any exercise. Since I have gotten it, I have replaced the carb with an 850 Speed Demon (vacuum secondaries) but not really tuned other than float level. Had the gas tank and lines cleared out, front disc brake conversion, some front suspension components replaced (tie rod ends, sleeves, shocks, idler arm, pitman arm). It is currently running pretty strong again but will bog if I mash the peddle from a dead stop. I would like it to be drivable with some trips to the drag strip. Probably more towards the latter as it will never be a daily. Going through the receipts here is what I gather of the build (it was done in 96.

440 bored 30 over

10.25:1 compression

292 Purple Shaft cam

6 pack pistons

Double roller timing chain

Polished crank

ARP rod bolts

906 heads

3 angle valve bronze guides

Hemi valve springs

Edelbrock Performer RPM high rise manifold

850 cfm Speed Demon carb

MSD 8546 distributor

MSD Blaster 2 high performance coil

MSD 6-AL Ignition kit

Taylor 10mm Racing wires

Iridium spark plugs

727 torque flight with manual valve body shift kit

Trans Cooler

Lightning stick shifter

Blue plate clutches

B&M Holeshot 3000 stall torque converter

3.91 8-¾ rear end

Hedman 1-3/4" Tube, 3" Collector Headers

3” Flowmaster exhaust

Optimum red top battery

KYG gas adjust shocks up front

Refurbed stock suspension

1.14” torsion bars

215/70/14 front 325/50/15 rear

Manual front disc brake conversion

IMG_1417.jpg IMG_1418.jpg IMG_1419.jpg

Don't do like some would and strip it of every nut and bolt while letting it sit in a dark dingy dungeon for years before being put back together. Take it out an drive when weather permits and enjoy it.
If you don't mind telling us why did your dad just let it sit?

Thanks, I have been letting it stretch its legs a bit. I would like to get the carb tuned if anyone knows a tuner in the Wisconsin Rapids area. As for why it sat, not really sure. I think he just had less time to keep up with it.

Thank you! Been doing a lot of reading and all of it makes me want to spend money. Common issue with forums I have found.

Assuming your timing curve is correct you'll need a pump cam assortment, for starters. Demons are very similar to holleys but not exactly the same, for baseline your float level should be middle line on the sight glass. Accelerator pump arms should be adjusted so you start getting a shot of gas the instant the throttle moves. You'll have to experiment with the different color pump cams until you find what the engine responds best to..you can experiment with different size squirters too. My 850 demon likes a 35 on the secondary, 31 up front (mine's a mechanical secondary model though)..I use a blue cam up front and a green on the rear and I can roll the throttle or mash it from any speed with no hiccups. (It used to bog at full stomp, in it's out-of-the-box configuration). My 440 has a touch less cam and gear than yours, but aftermarket heads and a lighter car(3650-3700lbs) Like any carb it just needs to be dialed in to match your car and driving conditions, but the condition you describe is very common, and curable. Keep at it, you'll get it!
Nice car by the way! Chargers & centerlines are a classic combination..

Thanks, Beanhead. Hopefully I can find someone nearby that can tune the Demon. I think it is a little out of my current scope of capabilities. I have also been thinking about aftermarket heads and looking between the Trick Flow Powerport 240s and the Edelbrock Performer RPMs to match the intake. Ideally I would like as close to bolt on ready as possible.

Hello all,
I was hoping to see if anyone had some advice on my next steps for my Charger. I purchased it from my father slightly before he passed away this year. He loved it, but it had been sitting in his garage for a number of years not getting any exercise. Since I have gotten it, I have replaced the carb with an 850 Speed Demon (vacuum secondaries) but not really tuned other than float level. Had the gas tank and lines cleared out, front disc brake conversion, some front suspension components replaced (tie rod ends, sleeves, shocks, idler arm, pitman arm). It is currently running pretty strong again but will bog if I mash the peddle from a dead stop. I would like it to be drivable with some trips to the drag strip. Probably more towards the latter as it will never be a daily. Going through the receipts here is what I gather of the build (it was done in 96.

440 bored 30 over

10.25:1 compression

292 Purple Shaft cam

6 pack pistons

Double roller timing chain

Polished crank

ARP rod bolts

906 heads

3 angle valve bronze guides

Hemi valve springs

Edelbrock Performer RPM high rise manifold

850 cfm Speed Demon carb

MSD 8546 distributor

MSD Blaster 2 high performance coil

MSD 6-AL Ignition kit

Taylor 10mm Racing wires

Iridium spark plugs

727 torque flight with manual valve body shift kit

Trans Cooler

Lightning stick shifter

Blue plate clutches

B&M Holeshot 3000 stall torque converter

3.91 8-¾ rear end

Hedman 1-3/4" Tube, 3" Collector Headers

3” Flowmaster exhaust

Optimum red top battery

KYG gas adjust shocks up front

Refurbed stock suspension

1.14” torsion bars

215/70/14 front 325/50/15 rear

Manual front disc brake conversion

View attachment 680465 View attachment 680466 View attachment 680467

Awesome looking car. Just a suggestion....I had the same tail setup as you did when I bought my car being painted one color. I painted my tail panel in the center black like they were from factory. Adds a very nice color contrast on the tail vs. all one color. Personal preference just thought I'd toss the idea out there. Again nice Charger man! I added a pic of mine for reference.

img_1418-jpg.jpg

tsil.jpg

Awesome looking car. Just a suggestion....I had the same tail setup as you did when I bought my car being painted one color. I painted my tail panel in the center black like they were from factory. Adds a very nice color contrast on the tail vs. all one color. Personal preference just thought I'd toss the idea out there. Again nice Charger man! I added a pic of mine for reference.

View attachment 680543

View attachment 680542
Thanks! And yes, I plan to do that as well. I like the contrast. It could use some new paint. It was media blasted and painted back in 96 but there is some cracking and flaking here and there. I have the receipt for the paint job but no color code listed. I am hoping it is the factory red of the time. Either way, I want to get it running tight first before focusing too much on looks. Not always easy.

Thanks! And yes, I plan to do that as well. I like the contrast. It could use some new paint. It was media blasted and painted back in 96 but there is some cracking and flaking here and there. I have the receipt for the paint job but no color code listed. I am hoping it is the factory red of the time. Either way, I want to get it running tight first before focusing too much on looks. Not always easy.

Yes I agree completely! I just used a satin rattle can and it turned out awesome. Took the trim off and the tail lights and had it done in a few hours. Had to do it as with the yellow it was wayyyy too much of one color. Good luck on the refresh man!

Yes I agree completely! I just used a satin rattle can and it turned out awesome. Took the trim off and the tail lights and had it done in a few hours. Had to do it as with the yellow it was wayyyy too much of one color. Good luck on the refresh man!
Well now it sounds like a weekend project I can talk myself into doing sooner. Thanks!

Well now it sounds like a weekend project I can talk myself into doing sooner. Thanks!

Originally it was painted in Organisol, but that **** sucks to clean, so I went with Satin black which looks great.

Thanks, Beanhead. Hopefully I can find someone nearby that can tune the Demon. I think it is a little out of my current scope of capabilities. I have also been thinking about aftermarket heads and looking between the Trick Flow Powerport 240s and the Edelbrock Performer RPMs to match the intake. Ideally I would like as close to bolt on ready as possible.
Cool! Swapping those pump cams is very easy though, all you need is a Phillips screwdriver. There are lots of videos on YouTube of exactly how to do it but it takes about 30 seconds and even if you're not real experienced with that stuff it's very easy and can be a good way to learn a little more about carb setup. Swap a cam, go for a drive, repeat!

Cool! Swapping those pump cams is very easy though, all you need is a Phillips screwdriver. There are lots of videos on YouTube of exactly how to do it but it takes about 30 seconds and even if you're not real experienced with that stuff it's very easy and can be a good way to learn a little more about carb setup. Swap a cam, go for a drive, repeat!

Well alright. I am game for that. Should I start with a similar setup to yours and go from there or does anyone have a build closer to mine to try and tweak?

Well alright. I am game for that. Should I start with a similar setup to yours and go from there or does anyone have a build closer to mine to try and tweak?
You'll just have to try them and see, altitude and atmospheric conditions all factor in Etc..do some searching on how to tune the vacuum secondary operation as well. If the secondaries are opening too fast you can easily modify them to open a little slower.

Buy a carb book & start reading per “bean”. IF you go to bigger heads, you might want 1-7/8”/2” headers also. 1-3/4” headers are mostly “street only”.

Buy a carb book & start reading per “bean”. IF you go to bigger heads, you might want 1-7/8”/2” headers also. 1-3/4” headers are mostly “street only”.
Thank you. I have been seeing a lot more 1-7/8 or 2" headers on similar builds. The hedmans are looking a little shabby anyway. I can start stockpiling parts.

One of the questions I should have asked about the carb first is, "Is it the right one?." I kind of bought it before going through the receipts and seeing what was done to the car. Is there a better option out there I should be utilizing?

Should be fine on the carb IMHO.

Auto Transport Service
Back